close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fixing Trailor

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WAKE ZONE, Mar 13, 2005.

1. :confused: I AM ABOUT TO REPLACE THE HUBS ON MY SINGLE AXLE TRAILOR. I NEVER DID THIS BEFORE. CAN I FIND OUT THE INNER SIZE 1 INCH, OR 1 AND 16 WITHOUT A MICROMETOR? IS A RULER OR TAPE NO GOOD? SHOULD I JUST REMOVE IT AND HAVE SOMEONE MATCH IT? THE WHEEL IS A 480-12 4 BOLT IF THAT HELPS.THANKS.

2. Do U Mean The Bear. In The Hub?

3. I Think So. Is That The Actual Size That Would Fit Over The Spindle, The Inner Bearing Size

4. If u call your boat/auto store they should be able to tell off the number on the inner race. But if u plan on only changing the bear u can get them
    at your local auto parts store(napa) ;)

5. some carry hubs also. :)

6. I Wanted To Replace The Whole Hub Thier From 1964 And Their Beet. I Saw The New Ones Already Packed Ready To Use Out Of The Package. Just Not Sure What Size Or How To Measure For Them.

7. Im thinking the 4-bolt is going to prevent u from matching them. Mine are 5-bolt at 12in. The rim and hub might be obsolite. Not positive but it might pay to re-use your old ones as long as the races were tight and the studs are replaceable. The bearing # has the id/od of the race and spindle. If I can help anymore let me know! ;)

8. The Inner Race Will Have A Number On It? Even If It Has A Lot Of Years On It. I Was Just Hoping To Have My Parts There Before I Tore Into It.

9. The Old Hub Has Bolts That Screw Through The Rim Into The Hub. Is That Old Fashion {dangdrous}?

10. There are numbers on both race and bear. Diff cut for diff spindles.
    The od of the spindle is diff for the inner and outer bear as is the hub so u need the # or take the hub and bear. to a trailer shop. I know the bear are cheap! 50$ in both sides!

11. Thanks Jig! I Appreciate The Help.

12. The best call for bearings that I have found is from Akron Bearing Co. They are on S. Arlington in Akron. Holler if you need their number.

13. Thanks Apd1088, Akron Is A Bit Far. I Found A Tractor Trailor Supply In Chardon Thats Only 25 Min. Thanks Anyway.

14. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Go to Tractor Supply and get the whole hub assembly with bearings and everything. Just make sure the bolt pattern matches. I had to replace both hubs from my old trailer ebcause they were cracked and leaked out the grease and in the water (bad mix). It was cheap and easy if you know what you're doing. It's an afternoon or evening's project. Wear latex gloves and use a can of brake cleaner to get all of the old grease and dirt cleaned off. Just my purely humble, simple opinion, but I would replace them if you are in doubt. If you're not sure about your lug pattern take off a wheel and take it in to Tractor Supply with you. If you want to upgrade the bearings just go to your local NAPA. Thats where I always get my replacement bearings and seals. Take in the old ones to assure a proper match.

15. Make certain that the new complete hub has the same bearing size(s) as your old one. My son tried to use the complete assembly from TSC on his boat trailer and found out that his had two different sized bearings. Check it out completely before tearing open the package. I recently did the bearings, races and seals on my ATV trailer. Bought the kit from TSC and the seals did not fit. Ended up going to NAPA for the seals.

16. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I'm replacing my bearings this weekend as my trailer is now in its sixth year. From what I am reading here NAPA or other auto parts stores carry bearings and seals for trailers?
    I'm sure they would be lower price there than the boat dealer.
    Is this true?

Thanks

17. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Yup. If you can keep your trailer on jackstands, take in your old bearings and seals and go to NAPA. They should be able to hook you up with the right quality parts. It can be a messy job, but if you use the right tools and cleaning supplies it can be a breeze. Good luck fellas.

I've never run into a hub/spindle that has 2 different sized bearings. Not saying it isn't possible, but its not the rule either. If you are conceredn about your hubs....get some new ones and save yourself the worry. The reason they sell those kits is that MOST trailers will be able to accept them as-is. You may need to tweak, depending on your setup. I went from having bolts on my rims (which I did NOT like) to have lugnuts, which I preferred. I went from worry if my bearings would burn up to knowing they would be fine.

18. Thanks A Lot Ofg Members! The Info Is Appreciated. It Looks Like I Have My Hands Full, But I Sure Love Learning How To Do These Things My Self. A Little Grease Never Hurt Anyone! Saving Money Doesn't Hurt Either!

19. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Actually it's quite easy Wake Zone.

Make sure you fully pack the bearings with MARINE grade bearing grease.
    It's kind of obvious but you never know.

20. if u snug the bear down till its snug not tight,u should be able to load to the next lock groove or so. Over tightening will heat and destroy it! Used bear u just snug. Dont forget to change the race! ;) :cool: oh ya, napa is great but sometimes it pays to replace as a unit. All depends on what u have.