Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picture this in your superior minds.........:(

I have a faucet to water the front yard in my garage. It is on a wall with nothing behind it to get to the back of it. But I can get to the front of it with no problem.

Now, the faucet will NOT shut off. The handle just spins so the hose is loaded all the time. How do I fix this? I know I have to shut the water off in the house.

Is it JUST a new handle or do I have to replace the whole guts, and HOW do I do that? There is a large nut on the piece that is BEHIND the handle. Do I take the handle off and undo that nut? If so what is behind the nut? Beside me. (old joke, loose nut behind the wheel)

Thanks in advance,

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
take the handle off and shut it off there with pliers. then the house and take out the "cartridge" below that nut and replace it and a new handle.

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,158 Posts
it's a standard faucet, it should be threaded onto the pipe (in the wall).
Shut off the water (that's important...), and see if you can unscrew the whole faucet. If so, thro' it in da gutta and go get anudda.

Sometimes it helps to get some buds over, drink beers and look at it.............

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
take the handle off and shut it off there with pliers. then the house and take out the "cartridge" below that nut and replace it and a new handle.
that Frey. Didn't know there was a "cartridge" behind that or what. As everyone can tell I am not very handy around the house. Scared of electricity :eek: and what not.

I was afraid to take it apart and something screw up and not being able to turn on the water again.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Don't turn it untill you make sure you have galvanised pipe if its copper and you turn the spigot you can twist of pipe back in your wall.
Turn of the water hold the pipe right behind the spigot with pliars and turn the nut on the spigot to the left to un screw it when it's loose turn spigot to the or right lightly while pulling out.If this works take it to a hardware store and have them install a new washer.Then install in reverse.
Fred

·
Registered
141 Posts
truck
it sounds like just the handle is stripped if it is plastic
is there a screw in the center of the handle?
if so undo it holding the handle and take it off and use some pliers to turn it off
if that works then just go get another handle
how olds the house in case you have more ???'s

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
Show us a picture of it and we can tell you a little more about what may be the problem.;) No more " it might be's "

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the reason I haven't answered sooner is because I was running around half the day looking for the insert. Anderson's, Lowe's, and Home Depot all didn't have it and it's funny because all 3 guys at the stores said the same thing, "Oh they don't make that anymore by itself.

Sooooo, down 71 I go from Powell to Weber and I go to Watermans or something like that a, (plumbing supply place) and show it to him there. Guess what, Yep you're right, "OH!!!! THEY DON'T MAKE THAT INSERT ANYMORE". The house is 22 yrs old. So, I bought the whole shaft that just screws right in to the water line in side the wall.

NOT THAT EASY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I had to cut the wall out and reach back and cut the water line and then put a sleeve over it and sauder (?) that and then sauder the shaft into the top of the waterline where it originally screwed in.

They cheated when they installed it originally and saudered it instead of screwing it in.

So, thanks fellas, I couldn't have done it without all your suggestions. This workerscomp is killing me financially. All my life I just called a plumber, electrician, etc.... and paid to have it done. I never really tried to do all these things myself. I was always "ON THE ROAD" being a tractor trailer owner operator for 31 years. Something broke in the house? I always was away and told the wife to CALL SOMEONE AND GET'R DONE.

Now I'm paying for all those years hehehehehehehe.:mad:

·
Registered
357 Posts
They didn't cheat when they soldered the threads into the valve body. That is an old plumbers trick, so that when someone tries to unscrew it they will need to call the old plumber to fix their screw-up... LOL...

Tom...

·
Lost in the 50's
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They didn't cheat when they soldered the threads into the valve body. That is an old plumbers trick, so that when someone tries to unscrew it they will need to call the old plumber to fix their screw-up... LOL...

Tom...
Well Tom, I guess it was a good idea being in the wall and all. I re soldered it anyway just in case.

Tks Agn people.

See ya all at the Crappie Tourney.

Misfit, My boat is running fine now. (heh,heh,heh):(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts