Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The two private ponds I hit this weekend up in Mansfield - one was in Ontario and the other at a campground near Mohican - yielded 29 fish, basically a 3 to 1 ratio of LMB to sunfish. Most of the bass were too small to get excited about, and I learned afterward that the owner of the pond in Ontario, who bought the property from my stepdad, recently allowed a group of Amish fellows that do work for him around the property, to remove a lot ("buckets full") of big bass from the pond for eating. :mad: The last time I hit this pond, which was last fall, I caught a lot of 2 to 3 pounders, but yesterday the largest I caught was maybe a foot. Also, the bluegill in the pond have grown huge, too big for the bass to eat, which might explain why the bass I did catch had paper-thin empty stomachs. Anyway, I doubt I'll return. The second pond that I hit today, the one near Mohican, gets a ton of heavy pressure during the summer from campers, but hasn't seen an angler since August. We hit it on our way back to Columbus, and my lovely wife gave me about an hour or so to fish before she started getting antsy. Anyway, I landed 14 decent bass, and, on my last cast, I caught a 9.5" green sunfish, which would be (only) my second F.O. of the year. Thankfully, I landed it on my ultralight, which made for a good fight. All-in-all, I expected a little more from this weekend, but I'll take it. On the upside, I do have tomorrow off and a container full of hellgrammites in the fridge...:D

Attachments

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you like your patriarch?
Love it. I have two actually - Both are paired with St. Croix Avid's, a ML and a lightweight. Pricey, but worth it. The difference is noticeable when I switch over to one of my presidential's or supreme's...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 5 of 5 Posts