Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, how often does anyone catch a FishOhio white bass? Last night, while trolling for walleye, I caught what I thought was a massive white bass, easily the largest I have caught all season. It measured 14.5", a full inch and a half short of the FishOhio qualifications. I was just wondering how many of these monsters are out there.

Also caught a 16-inch white perch, which surprised the heck out of me, but there are no size qualifications for that species that I could find.

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
4,940 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how often does anyone catch a FishOhio white bass? Last night, while trolling for walleye, I caught what I thought was a massive white bass, easily the largest I have caught all season. It measured 14.5", a full inch and a half short of the FishOhio qualifications. I was just wondering how many of these monsters are out there.

Also caught a 16-inch white perch, which surprised the heck out of me, but there are no size qualifications for that species that I could find.
14.5",,, Yep, that's a nice one, but I don't think you seen anything yet!

Many years ago, The good 'ol days, we use'ta target the huge whites, inside the Bula break wall near the light house, AND in the hot-water slip by the bubble. 12"-15" was the norm!
Just rip a 1/2-5/8oz roostertail just under the surface, AND WHAM!
Or use a white 3" twister on a 1/4oz jig, then tie on a small 1/8oz red marabou jig 2' farther up. TWO AT A TIME! EVERY CAST! And they were HUGE.
Some drag-screamin'-fun on an ultralight! :p

Ya, Bummer,,, we haven't found them inside the wall, since the CEI plants shut down! :(
lol, Now, I EAT everyone I catch while perch'n,,, brings back the memories :p

·
Erie Bytes Fishing Team
297 Posts
I've seen a decline in white bass numbers as there are more white perch. In the 80's we could catch 200 - 300 white bass daily, many 14" and over. Now they are more rare especially the larger ones.

Also, I checked Ohio fish records. Here's the info on white perch: An Ohio state record White Perch, weighing 1.72 pounds, was caught by Terry R. Patton of Galion, Ohio, from Lake Erie on January 29, 2011. Patton’s record white perch is 14-1/8 inches long with a 12-1/4 inch girth. If your white perch were 16", it could have been a state record.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, no kidding! I guess I should have kept it. I measured it just for kicks, never imagined it was any kind of record.

I haven't fished specifically for white bass in years, but I know they can be a lot of fun, especially when the walleye aren't biting!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I too caught a white perch last year out of Fairport that was 15 1/4" long and called my wife to see what length it had to be for Fish Ohio. The charter capt. Said that was a nice white bass. Told him it did not have the black lateral lines and after he looked at it agreed that it indeed was a white perch. So back to calling wife on cell to see how big a white perch has to be for Fish Ohio? She was on Internet and called me back while still fishing on lake and said no listing for a white perch for Fish Ohio, only yellow perch. So I just assumed that there was no listing for white perch under state records. We had all the fish filleted at cleaners and I never weighed the whit perch before it went under the knife, then I get home and find out they do list the white perch under state records. Confused why no Fish Ohio listing but consideration under state records? Anyone know why? Maybe because whit perch is not native to Lake Erie. All state records go by weight-not length. A lot of longer yellow perch have been caught but the state record yellow perch is actually smaller in length than others caught but again weight is what they go by. I know have a copy of current state record fish I keep on boat to check just in case, so always weigh that fish if close.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My dad and I were fishing for White bass in the catch basin below Hoover dam (near Columbus) He caught a White bass that was over 18" Knew it was big, but didn't realize it was probably a state record fish. We ended up eating it.:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts