Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its only taken all summer for the smallies to be out in force it just happened to be tournament time. During the Columbus River Rumble event this weekend, my future father in law and I hit a stretch of a flow that I considered to be more of a casual section, and a place to get away from the rest of the competitors.

I got a later start and had to be off the water first as well to get back and get things set up for check in so I knew I was going to have to fish with a purpose and keep things moving. To bad the FnL did not feel the same way. He is from PA, and really likes to fish slow, with tiny tiny inline spinners.

Anyways I ended up fishing alone most of the day, weather was in the mid 80s, mostly sunny with a nice breeze at my back for most of the day, making standing/casting very ideal. The water as perfect, maybe high 50's low 60' s degrees with 3-4 ft of visibility.

I started off with a senko wacky rigged, square bill crank and a white spinner bait tied on and switched over to gold early on. After a bag of senkos I put that rod down as the blue gills were vicious, and kept ripping them off every other cast. The Crank was not really effective because of the structure in most of the water, so the spinner bait was king, and allowed me to keep on the move.

What I found to work was a go /stop/burn retrieve. The lure would hit the water, I would reel it out 1-2 ft, and then let it flutter for 1-2 seconds, and then burn it. As soon as the lure picked up speed that's when the magic happened.

I spent the day doing that, standing up site casting at anything wood, with the wind and the pull from the spinner bait keeping me moving a long at an alright pace. I did however make the common mistake of fishing the first half of the float to hard, and ended up having to speed cast and move the last few miles, past a lot of really great water.

Besides that if you read the "Smallmouth for Dumbies " book anyone would of had an all star day. The fish were just were they were suppose to be, from the moment I hit the water, to the moment I got off around 230 PM. Not only were they there though, they were hitting like the little freight trains they are.

Best fight of the day came from a 14 inch smallie, this guy was solid black when he came out and blasted my lure. He it and came air bourn, hit the water and just would not turn. By the time I got him in the boat, and the camera read he had turned back to the normal green color, but still had to take a picture to remember the little guy.

The fish were in bunches though all together I estimate I caught 40-50 fish, I had three 15's 3 hours in, and ended with another 16, and topped it off with a 17.25 giving me the over all highest total for the tournament, and in a 4 way tie for big fish.

To sum it all up, sometimes you have to give something different a chance, and get off the beat'n trail to find what you are looking for, and you never know, you may just be surprised with what you find out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
Great job with both fishing and the report. I fished the scioto 4 times last week in different places and as the week went on the fishing picked up each day.I'm going to hit it again tomorrow.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,096 Posts
Now THIS is an awesome post. I learned that flow rates and to some degree weather have stabilized and the fish have setbup in typical summer haunts. I also learned a new technique. Now I can apply this information on my next trip to my favorite flow. Good stuff! We need to get another trip in Larry. I left my pfd in your truck.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now THIS is an awesome post. I learned that flow rates and to some degree weather have stabilized and the fish have setbup in typical summer haunts. I also learned a new technique. Now I can apply this information on my next trip to my favorite flow. Good stuff! We need to get another trip in Larry. I left my pfd in your truck.
You telling me I have your PFD and Paddle?!?!? There is a handlers fee after 30 days!

·
fishing from a kayak
882 Posts
Can't be lol.

How many did you keep and what kind of breading did you use? Panko? I bet it was Panko. Also where were you? Exactly; not that I care.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't be lol.

How many did you keep and what kind of breading did you use? Panko? I bet it was Panko. Also where were you? Exactly; not that I care.
Isnt it amazing the wealth of knowledge that can be posted without even saying the name of the flow, let alone the actual pin point stretch I was on.

** Mind Blown**

There are hints in the pictures though ;)

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
I'm amazed, LOL

I'm trying to get swookie out so he can finally get his coosa wet. Sucks Neil has to work now, have nobody to fish with during the week, unless someone comes up sick that is :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Multi Species Angler
6,096 Posts
Hey, I can fish during the week.........sort of. I just need a paddle, and a pfd............um.......and a kayak that doesn't leak. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts