Fishing trip?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by joerugz, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Ok, I've been going crazy with no luck deer hunting the late season. The ice is still a week or two away, and we're a few months away from smelling spring......BUT, this time each year I fantisize about the perfect fishing vacation.

I last went to Canada 8 years ago with not much luck (near Sudbury). I have been wondering how a fly in trip would be way up north. But now with the x-change and the gas prices, I don't know if it would be worth it. I've been to the salmon run in MI (limited luck). Been to the Maumee early last spring (no luck).

A part of me, (and this is were I would love some advice,) is wondering if I should stay in my own back yard. If I saved the money I could buy a better pontoon,(like a Trout Unlimited with a motor mount) or upgrade the row boat.
    I just care about having fun catching fish...any kind!

I'm planning a trip down to AEP. I'm thinking about making this trip "my vacation". Spending a week wondering the ponds and lakes with a toon and a float tube. Hows the fishing down there? Can one spend a week down there and have fun? Are there any hotels if I decide to take the wife? Are there nearby towns she could shop in?
    Or should I just pitch my tent and sleep in my van?