Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so I just got a 14 ft john boat ready to fish and next spring me and my buddy wanna take it out on a trip out of state for a weekend or maybe a full week. but we really don't know much about fishing besides outside of the state. and we're really not to picky as far as species goes. the only thing I can say in that matter is that were new to boat fishing so I really don't try and learn how to troll while im paying for a cabin and so on. but any ideas of where a nice spring fishing trip with in about 12 hours of Columbus and nothing to outrageous expensive.

·
11 dayz
10,491 Posts
Reelfoot lake 7 hrs away crappie bluegill bass good sizes 545 fer 7 days and nights with george bunch jr. pm me for the full details of this years trip with my grandson and i'll give youa few spots to try

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I’d suggest learning about fishing and boating before planning an out of state trip. Make numerous trips this fall to your local lake and make sure you understand everything you need to in order to be safe. Hundreds of miles away on a strange lake isn’t the place to realize you don’t understand something. You also need to learn the limitations of your boat, and being a 14’ jon boat there will be many.

·
Super Moderator
3,975 Posts
FLETCHERS FLOODWATERS in ALPENA MICHIGAN. 6hrs away

·
11 dayz
10,491 Posts
I’d suggest learning about fishing and boating before planning an out of state trip. Make numerous trips this fall to your local lake and make sure you understand everything you need to in order to be safe. Hundreds of miles away on a strange lake isn’t the place to realize you don’t understand something. You also need to learn the limitations of your boat, and being a 14’ jon boat there will be many.
Good advise Mag

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
Times 1,000.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
I agree with this also. Five or six years ago when I first started fishing and had a boat I had this bright idea of going to Norris Lake for a week. Worse fishing trip I have had in my life. I had no idea what I was doing in a big lake. I would learn some local lakes first or at least if you are going to go somewhere book a guide for one day to at least have some ideas in your head of what to try. It is bad enough being skunked locally but spending a bunch of money on gas and motel and not catching fish really sucks. That trip ruined me for lake fishing I still don't like to fish lakes after that trip.

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
The first boat I ever bought was a little jon like that. My first trip was on Pymatuning with a nice chop and a 15 knot wind. I tossed my anchor out the back of the boat, and by the time it found bottom I realized my mistake...:eek:...I barely got it back off the bottom before the waves started swamping it.

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Streamstalker you need to blow up your tag line to whatever the biggest font you can use on here.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we fish griggs,hoover and oshay weekly and griggs on a hot weekend with all the jet ski boats out the chop gets pretty. and I know how to fish for crappie and bass. but I'm really talking about not knowing much about trolling. as far as the large lake thing. I wouldn't be going to a massive lake

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I like the idea of Flether's Floodwaters also. Love that lake !! It can get choppy, far more so than Griggs since it's much larger, but you can get fish on the lee side of the lake & there are several launches that make that possible. Then, if that doesn't work out, there are several other lakes in the area that are worth a shot & have given up quite a few fish to us over the years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts