close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fishing trip ideas needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jeffmo, Jan 28, 2005.

1. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i'm looking at taking the family up into michigan "somewhere" in the early summer for a vacation since it looks like we won't be headed out west.
    what i'd like to find is somewhere that we can rent a lakeside cabin and dock the boat so we won't have to trailer it each day.a cabin with cooking facilities would be great because i like to cook and it's alot easier on the wallet than eating out each day.
    the fishing surely doesn't have to be world class by any means but i'd like to go someplace where we'd be able to catch enough keep the kids interest up while we're on the water.
    i'd really appreciate any ideas you guys might have.
    thanks!

2. catking

catking Banned

What's the name of that lake that MISFIT and a few others go to in the summer fishin for pike and bass??? It has lake front cabins that looked very nice. Maybe they will see this and give you an answer..THE CATKING !!!

3. catking

catking Banned

Fletcher Pond I do believe............. Do a search on this area.It looked very nice......... CATKING

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

there are probably lots of places up there that would fill the bill.fletchers pond is a good one.good bass and pike fishing,along with crappies and perch.two places i know of on the lake are jacks landing and lyons landing.
    bill gfish has been going to lyons for years,and we stayed at jack's.both have cabins,house trailers,and kitchnette units with all you need.it's full of stumps and weeds,and averages only about 7 feet deep or so.you just need to keep your eyes open and run at slower speeds,due to the stumps.it's no place for a glass boat,but you'd be fine if yours is aluminum,which i think is the case.
    i wouldn't mind making another trip up there with toad this year,but i'll leave my boat at home and rent one next time.i don't think either of us wants to have a repeat of our greatest "real misadventure" together:eek: :D

5. jeffmo,

contact deputy on michigan-sportsman.com regarding a cabin he rents. My family rented the cabin two summers ago, it has 2 bedrooms, kitchen, and living room area. The cabin is located on lake van etten just west of oscoda. The cabin isn't 5 star but didn't break the bank at 375.00 for a whole week. The cabin is lakefront and has a dock, fishing wasn't great in the lake but it was nasty weather when we were there. The cabin also had canoes, 14 ft aluminum, and a paddle boat for the kiddies.

With any luck there'll be shrooms still comming up and steeelhead in the river like there were the second week of june in 03

Jason

6. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

It's not too far, has lots of sand dunes and plenty of activities for the whole family. It's on lake Michigan and you won't believe the size and amount of sand! Dune Buggy's are very popular there...oh yes, there's also fishing!! I don't know about the cabins, but I'm sure with a little research you can find something. Good Luck. -Hooch-

7. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i would go up to the area around sleepy bear dune.. up by traverse city.. lots of things to do and see.. the views are spectacular up there.. plus fishin is great too.. lol..

8. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Go into Michigan and then head East out of Michigan :D across the to the canadian side of Lake St. Clair. Only about 5 -6 hrs from Columbus

A lot of different little resorts with cabins for rent. GREAT fishing in LSC for perch, smallmouth and muskie with some walleye thrown in for fun. Small boats work fine most of the time. Close in fishing, shallow water.

You may be able to find a couple of places at the upcoming columbus vacation show.

9. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

thanks guys!this is gonna be the 1st vacation with the new boat and i'm really looking forward to it.i know my daughter is.she's been into northern ontario with me a couple of times now and really enjoys it.the last time we were up there i had her running the small boat all week long and it was great!she had a ball and i got to sit in the back and let her be the "guide".
    i can't wait to teach her everything about running the new boat then get her behind the wheel and see that grin when she gets it up on plane!
    my wife and son are gonna have a blast too.they enjoy fishing alot too.it'll be a great week with all of us spending alot of time together.
    thanks again for the help.