close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing the tangy north of 5th

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by F1504X4, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This thread has absolutely nothing to do with the removal of the lowhead. I am just wandering if there is a place to launch a boat in this stretch of the river. I am looking to fish north of 5th ave. along the stadium. Thanks!

2. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

There is no public boat launch north of downtown. I suppose you can find a spot to launch near campus if you are on good terms with Gordon Gee. You could launch a small boat or canoe near Tuttle Park if you are willing to carry it a little way.

3. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

I don't know of anyplace to put a boat (off a trailer) in between the 5th Ave dam and the Dodridge dam. On the east side it's OSU campus and on the west side it's either 315 or Olentangy River Road.

As for anywhere north of downtown, there is a gravel drive that goes under the Confluence restaurant, where some rowing shells are stored, and I've carried a canoe down to the water there. I've heard of access (maybe a ramp) at the city power plant site on the east bank but I've never checked it out.

Scroll to the bottom of this ODNR page:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft/streams/olentangy/tabid/2450/Default.aspx

4. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

I was surprised at how shallow the Olentangy is north of the confluence. From the road it just looks like water but from a canoe you're banging oar tips on the botom. I've only gotten up a bit past the 670 bridges. And there was more water then (2005) than now.

5. FLT_TUBE_JNKY

FLT_TUBE_JNKY Uber Tuber

Hey Alex, saw one of your flyers up on the peg board at work last month verry well done. Now I just need to figure out who put it up there.
    I know what you mean about being way shallow, I've made it up to 670 in my pellican.

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

to all who had their hijacks deleted,consider that an official warning,in lieu of sending each of you a pm.
    my patience is wearing as thin as my hair,with some of you.
    if you don't understand that,feel free to send me a pm.

7. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Yes Downtown there is a launch at the old Powerplant on the East side of the Olentangy. Just go down Nationwide Blvd. until it dead-ends, you will see signs. I will do some research about access on the Olentangy above 5th. I'de love to get some largemouth in there before it's gone.

8. Thanks for the input about nationwide. I have used that ramp many times but i am looking to be around the campus area north of 5th. Thanks again

9. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

If you have a smaller jon boat(and not bass boat) and some help, you could put in around the parking lot of French Field House. Might have to find a place to park somewhere else though.

10. FOSR

FOSR name of Alex

If you can carry the boat, maybe try the Tuttle Park recreation center, parking should be OK.

Or, walk the park bike path sometime to scout for a better spot. I haven't been in that park for a few years, so I don't know exactly what's there these days.

11. newbz

newbz

if you have a carryable boat, park at the ice rink parking lot on the stadium side where the bike path comes up to the road, and just walk down the hill. its maybe a 30 foot walk.

12. fishnwithjoe

fishnwithjoe Fishnwithjoe

Send me a PM. I know how its done.

Fishnwithjoe

13. We caught several white bass and crappie below 5th ave dam are they safe to eat?

14. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Yes. Just don't do it everyday to be safe.

15. thanks!

After reading the boards thought I'd ask based on the other thread. The fish down there we caught didn't look sick or anything, a friend of mine always fish the bridge and riffles just thought this would be the place to get the truth.

16. fishnwithjoe

fishnwithjoe Fishnwithjoe

The truth is that the 5th Avenue Dam and the area above it are one of the best places to fish in Central Ohio. The work that University has done in cleaning up the River with the Olentangy Wetlands Research Center has helped tremendously but, more work needs to be done. My family ran a bait shop about 3-5 miles away from this area for over 50 years. I've written about the Olentangy near campus it's been published in Fishing and Hunting News Magazine. It was one of my earlier articles. I've written for Ohio Outdoor News, have an article on ESPN.com, been quoted in The Dispatch. Was on WCLL TV a couple of times to speak about fishing in Central Ohio when they used to broadcast from Downtown. I'm one of the few guys that can guide you on the Olentangy. I'm a real fishing guide in Central Ohio. Did a show on Big Walnut Creek that was on ESPN2 last year. Oh and when the area from Ohio State’s Wetlands Research Center near Dodridge Street to 5th Avenue Dam was designated as an international wetland of significance this year I was expert enough to have my name and my video included in the proposal that went to the international committee that made the decision. Check the proposal on the Universities website and you'll see they are there. I've spoken at the University twice this year about the Olentangy River and what a phenomenal fishery it is. Did this right before President Gordon Gee both times. Oh and I actually know where to put a boat in on this stretch of the Olentangy. The so called experts shouting the most had no clue. Did I mention that I produce a pretty cool online fishing show based out of Central Ohio that goes to about a dozen big websites. I have to know fishing in Central Ohio because much of what I do depends on it.
    At one time I wondered if dam removal on the Olentangy was a great idea like you. I fished all through Delaware at the Dams on the Olentangy around Panhandle Road and in between Rt 36 & 37. The said it would make the fishing better so I believed them, but this was totally wrong. The 3-4 pound smallies I would catch in the deep pools above and below the dams along with tons of crappie and largemouth that came downstream from Delaware dam suddenly became only stunted smallies. Two of my most watched videos were shot right in Delaware when the Dams were in place. They have thousands of views. Now I catch dink transient fish that move in and out everytime the water level changes. Not to mention that all the sewage that runs into the Olentangy near Delaware now travels yards across the ground to even reach the water. It comes out of the pipes, pools up on the ground and leeches its way down the bank to the River. In my next video you'll see this and hear testimony from some of the anglers in Delaware that are practically in tears and upset because instead of having the good fishing spot that they once did at the Dams now they have nothing but rocks and a trickle.
    The problem with the 5th Avenue pool on the Olentangy is angler access. If more people had access to fish it like Griggs tearing out the 5th Avenue Dam wouldn’t even be an issue. The answer would be “NO Way”. The money being spent to tear out the dam should be used for angler parking or to fix the sewage overflow problems. That is millions in taxpayer money being used for dam destruction. I wouldn’t doubt the people supporting it are the big companies getting the millions of dollars to tear down the dams. Multi million dollar projects and organizations supporting it getting kickbacks from the contractors. We are talking in the millions here and in our tight economic times you just do the math. They say the sewage problem is fixed. The sewage problem is fixed in my opinion when they go down there and cap off those pipes running into the River. I haven’t seen them do that yet and don’t think they will anytime soon. You hear very little information about anything other than tear out the Dam. There is no wonder why. We are being cheated as anglers. We pay $19 bucks for our license and our thoughts aren’t even taken into consideration. In Central Ohio anglers are treated like trash. We have got to stand up for ourselves guys. You want to see some truth look for my next video.

Joe Jordan

17. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

Joe, I'm really starting to wonder how long it'll be before you start making a documentary with the sole purpose of promoting yourself!

It's a fine place to fish, but I really wouldn't go so far as to call it one of the best in central Ohio.

18. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

apparently some people didn't read the above(first sentence by the author in the first post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.