Ohio Game Fishing banner

Fishing still hot this weekend

924 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Duckdude82 
#1 ·
The fishing was still on fire this weekend in the Maumee Bay area. I had to move out from the bay because of the muddy water, but the fish were stacked up between Turtle Island and the Light House. All you had to do was find the boats. There were a lot of boats out this weekend.

Friday night (5:30-6:30), 3 man limit in an hour. Caught around 20 fish then went in.

Saturday afternoon......fished 10:00-2:00, 3 man limit in about 2 hours then the fishing really slowed down after noon. Only caught around 8 fish from 12:00-2:00. The fish was a lot slower than in the evening the night before.

Sunday morning (6:00-10:00)....3 man limit in 45 minutes. Caught probably 50+ fish the first 2 hours, then the sun came up and the fishing slowed way down again. only caught around 10 fish the last 2 hours.

Sunday Afternoon (2:00-6:00)...fished for perch off of Lakeside and Marblehead. The fishing was VERY SLOW. Only caught 4 yellow perch and 3 white bass all day. The perch that were caught were nice fish...9-11.5 inches each. From talking to a few boats out there, they just killed the perch on Saturday, but Sunday it was very slow.

See less See more
#2 ·
rutty -

What were you using? Hair jigs or blade baits (size/colors)? I have heard of people starting to use harnesses, weight forwards, bottom bouncers, etc. We are thinking of giving it a try on Thursday and wondered what worked best for you. Thanks in advance. Later.

#3 ·
rutty -

What were you using? Hair jigs or blade baits (size/colors)? I have heard of people starting to use harnesses, weight forwards, bottom bouncers, etc. We are thinking of giving it a try on Thursday and wondered what worked best for you. Thanks in advance. Later.

I was still using 3/4 ounce Purple Hair Jigs. once the bite started to slow on the purple I started using pink/chartruese then started to pick up a few more fish. I was not tipping them with minnows. The jig bite will good for another 1-2 weeks yet in that area. I have heard of a few people using harnesses, but didn't see anyone in the area using them. Did have some trollers going inbetween the jiggers. They were catching a few fish, but not that many.

#7 ·
Can someone tell me about where turtle island is in Rutty's post ??
Is There still a pack of boats on the reeff complex ? Or is that what we are talking about ?
Joe.
its on the west side of the toledo shipping channel right next to the michigan line (the line runs through the island) they dump the dredgings from the river in that area which has made humps that the fish spawn on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.