close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing starting to be better At Salt Fork

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by SteinwayFishing, Aug 31, 2004.

1. I was at Salt Fork last night, and I intend to go again Wednesday night. Caught a Walleye and a Channel Catfish near Sugartree Marina. Used a Rapala Husky Jerk on the Walleye, and caught the Channel Cat on a dead shiner. I also hear that the Crappie are starting to hit again at the Old Covered Bridge area.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

Welcome to OGF !

Out of curiousity, how big was the walleye ?

3. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

and thank-you for the good fishing report. Its good to hear that Salt Fork is picking up.

- Jim

4. LiquidTension

LiquidTension mouse potato

awsome. now if i can only get out of the activities with the inlaws wifey always seems to have planned...... :D :p

5. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

SteinwayFishing,
    Thanks for the report! I'm going to Salt Fork this weekend with family. I'm going to try and get some fishing in. I know where Sugartree is, where is the old covered bridge area? I may bring my little 14' boat.

6. I'd say the walleye was about a 3 pounder

7. As you leave the boat launch at Sugartree, the lake forks 2 ways. If you go left, you go into the Ski Zone. Don't go there. Instead, keep right, and follow the lake until you make it to a bridge. If you pass the Old Stone House, you are in the right spot. Go under the bridge, (watch for stumps, depending on the level, there are a bunch of stumps, usually where the crappies are.) Anywhere around here is pretty good crappie and catfishing.

8. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Yeah ask steinway about the fishing and ask him if the blue gloves attract fish!

9. Family and I went to Salt Fork on Sunday, first time there. That is one nice looking lake and campsites. We are planning on going back camping. Looks like they have someting for everyone. Does anyone deer hunt there?

10. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

If you have a loaf of bread, you can probably catch them by hand! Bulldog them rodeo style. My whole family was there this weekend. The deer at the lodge area are practically tame. People staying at the lodge feed them. Many look a little malnourished and I saw one that looked like it was loaded with ticks. There is very little browse below head height in the no hunting area. Way too many there, I think. I saw five turkey in the woods just down the hill from the lodge; even the turkey didn't seem very wary of people. I did see better looking deer away from the lodge.

11. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I was down there last Saturday also. We saw deer just outside the cabin doors, a turkey drop down from its roost also at the cabins, snake in the water at cabins, hawks and buzzards in the air, and boated six keeper bass. (all released) A great morning on the lake.... ;)

12. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Used to go bow hunting there every year in the primitive weapons area. That place is gorgeous in October. Plus nobody is around and the campsites in December are deserted.
    DO NOT go anywhere near there during gun week. Way too many crazies (with guns).
    There's a crabapple orchard that always attracts the deer plus the feedlots on the backside of the primitive weapons area is OK. The best area is right across the street from the road that leads to the lodge in the primitive weapons area. The state puts out salt licks in the no hunting area and that draws the deer to that area. The crabapple orchard is near there also.

Haven't hunted for about 6-7 years there. It got to be a hassle to drive 88 miles to the park, set up camp in the dark and only have Saturday to hunt. Sunday hunting wasn't legal at the time.