close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing Sale at Dicks Sporting Goods

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by tech187, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Dicks Sporting Goods around Columbus is have a grand opening sale right now. I believe all fishing lures are 25% off. The one at Easton has a few clearance bins with some decent stuff.

2. I went there yesterday and noticed the size of the fishing department is only half of what Galyans had. Really disapointing to find out this...I used to go there to find the tougher items that not every tackle shop carried.
    The sale was great though I picked up some crankbaits and plastic baits all for 25% off.

3. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

jignut,
    Go out to Buckeye Outdoors, Fishermans Warehouse or R&R on front street...forget "DICKS" sporting goods....heck wally world or Gander mt. is better than them(and i dont shop either one).

Scott

I give Dicks less than one year and they will go out of business!!

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

5. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Well Max,
    I buy a few 1000 dollars worth of gear every year and used to spend it mostly here in town. I delt mostly with Fishermans warehouse after the old Columbus sports(jumbo sports) went out of business. I have been to all the fishing shops around cental ohio and my top 3 would be as stated above.."Buckeye Outdoors, Fishermans Warehouse or R&R on front street" NOT in that order...Fishermans has been my #1 place to go because they have a good selection of St. Croix rods and are the ONLY dealer to carry Gamakatsu G-Power line(the only line i prefer use). Plus if they dont have what i want, they will order it for me.
    I have now added Euro carp fishing to my long list and have been buying from a few select stores in the USA. If i needed some new catfish ,smallmouth bass gear, i would either go over to Fishermans or order on-line from BP shops or Cabelas.
    When Gander Mt. came to town, i checked them out...they carried less than Galyans, i dont buy from them, waste of time unless you want what EVERY other angler in Columbus is using(not me). Galyans was an OK store, but still better than Dicks sporting Goods.
    So i stand by my reply...shop elsewhere or order on-line!

Scott

6. crankus_maximus

I spend that much too. I don't have time to drive clear across town. I go where I know I can find it and get the best buy for my buck and SOMETIMES that happens to be DICK's/Galyans as well as Gander, FFF, Cabelas and BPS.

I'm not going to turn this into a post about economics, even though that is where you went.

You require "specialized" gear that Dick's will not carry. End of story. Most angler's will, however, find that DICK's at the current time has a much better selection than Walmart. It is NOT better than Gander Mountain.

I happen to think that Buckeye Outdoors is not worth the stop for me.

We all have opinions, bud.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i don't consider myself to be "special",so i don't mind using what EVERY other angler in columbus is using.but i doubt every angler in columbus shops gander,and buys the same thing.if that were the case,we'd all have to buy one of everything they sell :rolleyes:
    sure would be good for their business though :D

"proud supporter of gander mountain"

8. Nickadams

Nickadams goenfurshen

Gander is my first choice. I went to fisherman's warehouse for the first time this weekend, and I liked it a lot. Those guys over there are really good. I will say though that, for the most part, the only thing I find at smaller shops that I can't at Gander is service. Gander isn't that bad though, if I need help usually someone is willing if I can corner them. At Dick's forget it, that place could carry everything in the world and I will avoid it at all costs. If I want to know something about what I am buying I don't want to talk to some kid who acts like I am annoying him...

9. crankus_maximus

If I know what i want, I go in and get it. I don't ask. I have a list. I'm a smart boy - I can read and cypher and what not. I would agree with Misfit. I am a proud Gander Mountain supporter. Those "average" baits catch fish - period. Just because everyone has a bait doesn't mean they know how to fish it to put fish in the boat or on shore.

Riverat - I never knocked your store. You found it necessary to knock a store I shop at. I happen to like talking with JBJ. That is not cool, man.

10. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Just look at all these places as resources. I use most of them for certain things but usually order most of my stuff cause i'm picky. I for one am glad to see Dicks had bandit, Norman and zoom products. It may not be what galyans was but its here so I consider it a place to see what they have once in a while. I really miss a store called Fish -Ins. It had a lot of good bass stuff.

11. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Max...lol...."I never knocked your store"...its NOT my store, its just one i shop at...lol.

Look man, not sure why you took my reply as if your the owner of Dicks, but i tell it like it is, like it or not. Im not the only one who shops for not so popular lures, gear ect. and yes there are lots of guys that use the "catch all" lures but never catch anything..that aint me though, but i still prefer the one the've not seen yet. 20 different ways to use a plain jane original floating rapala....tell me something i didnt learn YEARS ago.

Shop where ever you like...i dont care, the original thread was about a Dicks grand opening....i will not go there and gave my thoughts on a better place(s) to shop...thats all.

Scott

12. crankus_maximus

Thats cool, to each their own.

13. Just picked up some Yozuri Pins minnows for 2.98, select senkos for 2.97, Yamamoto cut tail finesse worms for 1.97, roadrunners 2 for .97 at the Dick's in Tri-County. This store seems to be the best Dick's around for fishing stuff. They have a pretty large selection.

14. Holy crap. Looks like my post started a bit of a firestorm as to where the best fishing supply store is. In my opinion there isn't a best store. If you are looking for something really specific you are probably going to have to shop around for a while or give in and pay the price. It would be nice if one store had everything, even the hard to find items and just so happened to also have the best prices. I don't ever see it happening. Just be glad we have all these different places to shop. The small town in southern Ohio were I grew up has a small mom and pop tackle store with a very very limited selection. The only other place to buy fishing tackle in the area is WalMart, which usually has great prices, but very limited selection as well. Good luck shopping everyone.