Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several 2 pc rods, and more 1pc rods. I prefer the one pc rods but storage to and from fishing can be a dangerous journey for them. What is your preference, and why?I don't have a boat to store my gear in so it's many trips to and from the car to the canoe:(

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
They only 2piece I have is to keep in my tool box (truck) to hit places I may come across while working out of town.For anything except catfishing(mine are still 1pc),they are less sensitive,flimsier(sp. ?) and I personally WONT use them.They serve the purpose I guess but not for me unless forced.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
The newer 2 pc are really good. Plus easy to transport in a car/ yak, hike throught the woods etc. My heavier musky tackle is 1 piece but I have a number of 2 pc spinning rods and a couple 2 pc casting rods.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I still prefer a 1 piece over a 2 any day for sensitivity. I fish from the banks, and always haul my 1 piece rods in my car. Pain in the rear end, but it's what I prefer, unless I have a rod over the 7ft length, then it's always a 2 piece, like my cat fishing poles.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The days of the metal ferrule that added significant weight to the rod and noticeably impacted the performance of the rod are long gone. The modern integrated ferrules add very little extra weight to the blank. As an example compare the 2pc. models here with their one piece counterparts. Granted a couple of the 2pc. models differ in action or lure rating a bit, but most are designed to be quite close to the one piece rods.

I highly doubt that many would be able to discern between rods with various numbers of pieces if handling them blindfolded. The ferrule just doesn't impact the rod the way that it once did.

With that said, I prefer one piece rods when I can get away with them, not because of the sensitivity issue, but because I don't like to spend time during a fishing trip assembling rods, and checking ferrules. Each ferrule also creates higher stress points at either end, though a good blank design takes care of most issues related to that stress, an improperly seated ferrule can cause problems and possibly result in a blank failure.

When I can't or don't want to transport long rods, I have 3pc. and 4pc. travel rods that serve their purposes very well. They are great because I can tuck their tubes behind the seat in the truck, and not have to worry about them being damaged in transport. They just don't spend much time in the boat. If I decide to make a quick trip on foot, they are there, ready, and reliable.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts