close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing Rivers??

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by Tornichio, Apr 1, 2005.

1. I noticed on the deer creek thread there was mention that they river fish are easier to pattern. Well I have never been much of a river fisherman untill last season. I figured that I was going to give it a good shot just to try to catch some fish out of the river. I really don't have much luck as of yet. I did find some places that gave up a few fish, but by and large I think I am missing quite a bit. I figure that holes are good, but how do you know where a hole is by looking at a river? Are bends in a river a good place to fish? is it better on the inside turn or out side bend. I don't seem to have much luck figuring this out yet. Maybe I am not patient enough. But I have put in many hours of fishing in some areas and just not had any bites.

I know this is a fairly elementary questions, But I am guessing that I am not the only person who does not know how to fish rivers.

Thanks for any help.
    marc

2. I'm not much of a river fisherman...I do know it's good to look for some sort of flat or shallower/more moderate contour located near deeper water. I've had luck fishing sandy flats near current as well as the deeper holes (relative to the system) in river bends. Your best bet would be to spend some time on a river with someone who knows a bit more about fishing them...and it never hurts to put some chum out there.

3. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Marc, just keep at it, as i hear RIVERS are very easy..anyone can catch there.....LOL!!

"I know this is a fairly elementary questions, But I am guessing that I am not the only person who does not know how to fish rivers?"

No you are not, but most THINK they do...its like everything else and takes time to read the water, and the carp there. If it was as EASY as they say...EVERYONE and thier brother would be fishing the rivers....but how many do you hear talk about catching from the rivers, got any pictures?? Maybe COSI/CFD but thats truely an easy area..it dont get any easier than fishing off your tailgate.

Give me a shout sometime Marc, i'll show ya where,
    Scott

4. You do have to put in a lot of time just walking the river banks...and that sounds like something you've done, Marc. That's the main reason I haven't even fished any of the rivers around Columbus yet...it's a lot easier for me to look at a lake map, identify areas likely to hold carp, then go there and fish. I was able to find fish on the East Fork Little Miami and Little Miami rivers (and consistently catch them) down in the southwest part of the state...but that's because I grew up in those areas and already knew where the productive fish holding areas were. Like Scott said...keep at it and you'll find the fish.
    (And the reason everyone else isn't fishing the rivers is because they either don't know public accesses, don't have private access, or don't want to hike a mile to their fishing holes).

5. thanks for the info guys. I am still trying to figure it all out. I will eventually I hope. I have scouted roughly a 4 mile stretch. I have about 8 spots that I am going to give a shot. I did not get a lot of chances to fish after may last year. Actually I did not fish 1 single day after may last year. This year will be different hopefully. When things start warming up I am going to try alot of these places. 1 in particular looks like it could be a good catfish spot. I am not picky at this point. Anything that bites is good enough for me.

Thanks again.