close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing Rattle Traps

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Technofish, Jun 5, 2007.

1. I've heard Rattle Traps are pretty productive up in Northeastern Ohio Lakes (e.g., Mogadore and Portage Lakes) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions about how to work them and what sizes are most effective (e.g., 1/2 ounce or 1/4 ounce). Thanks for the information!:D

2. When fishing a rattletrap, you want to nick the weed tips and occasionally rip it out. Use a size that gets you to where your just into the weeds. Lots of hits as you rip it free. Can be discouraging way to fish, but on the right day, can be incredible. A little bit of wind and waves is best. Try lots of colors and brands.

3. for me these baits are the ultimate for drop offs. They sink fast and rip up to the surface fast, so you can work all the depths on a slope on one retrieve.

Ive always had the best luck with the original Rat-L-Trap, some version of silver and a rip/pause retreive.

Catches a wide array of fish too - same day you might get bass, crappies, an eye depending on where you are, and Ive even had a few gills hit them.

4. ask rattletraprex!!! trust me he can work those things!!! i gave him his name for that!!!! OR it was 'cause i pike flipped and buried the treble in his fingers:eek: :eek:

5. I always do well with the 1\4 ounce fish the on weed flats either rip them though the weeds or crnk just over the weeds

6. Define "rip" and "crank" for us wet-behind-the-gills fisherfolk.

7. TxTransplant

TxTransplant Fishin Fool!

You have to rip and not crank (reel) when it starts grabbing the weeds to keep it moving. If you stay above the weeds you just crank (reel) the rattletrap or lipless crank back in.

Gene

8. I used to troll with the 1/4 oz size rattle traps and mono line. Many still do at Indian lake. Trolling 6' of water,you could get about 35' of line out and that's all you need.

Then in the hotter months,cast them into deeper water,let them hit bottom and start reeling them in. The saugeye usually hit them just as they hit the bottom.

After I went with spiderwire ,I've never caught a fish with those same rattletraps.

9. Stop and Go retrieves can work good too

10. Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm looking forward to trying out your suggestions!:)

11. Fishing Girl if it helps a rip is basically pulling your rod tip up hard when the hooks catch up on the weeds. I have even seen pros smack the bottom of their rod to break the lure loose from the weeds. Lots of times as it shoots off the weeds it was hooked on it will trigger a bite from a fish. Give it a whirl on Nimi next time you go. If you can get in to them that way you'll have a lot of fun. Probably my second favorite to topwater bites