Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
fished 63 ft of water nw of Avon caught 8 steelhead got 6 to the boat No big school of walleye but caught plenty fishing for stee
Thanks. Was thinking of trying off Avon for steelhead this coming Friday. Planning on playing with a downrigger to learn how to use it and dipseys or in-line board. Would you mind sharing baits tactics depth speed that were successful? TIA. Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Was thinking of trying off Avon for steelhead this coming Friday. Planning on playing with a downrigger to learn how to use it and dipseys or in-line board. Would you mind sharing baits tactics depth speed that were successful? TIA. Chris
Orange spoons worked best for us today dipsies 2.7 to 3 mph

·
716 Posts
If you can see a thermocline, set your rigger above that. Put your clicker on on your reel(s) & set your drag as light as possible. Dont be afraid to go faster. Even approaching 5mph sog

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks bduckn and cptshotgun I have several spoons with orange also silver, white and blue to mix in. Does spoon size matter? Most of mine are standard Stinger size. I have some Stinger scorpions, some other brands, different shapes. I recall a charter trip 20 years ago from Fairport where the steelhead were hitting on small silver and white scorpion size. I have no experience catching them. Only what I read on this site. Appreciate all the help and posts. Been learning to troll on Erie for 12 years now. Long way to go with lots to learn. Guess that means I have something to look forward to when retire next spring! Sorry I rambled

·
716 Posts
I like bigger spoons. Lots of orange and glow in the dark. Orange and blue together. Pro- kings, laker takers, but my go to is Evil Eye orange & a glow stripe. If stingers I would start with magnums, but sometimes they want the scorpions. If you want to land them, make sure you keep your drags as light as possible on all of your reels. Dont be afraid to try 10’ back & 10’ down on your riggers. SPEED kills!

·
716 Posts
Sometimes they seem to want only riggers. Stimes only dipsys. Stimes only boards. Sometimes you go through a school & they hit em all & you have 6 on at once! Get your scissors out! The meat is much better if you bleed them. I also soak the fillets in cold lemon Juice and water 1/2 hour to an hour. Its ok if your drags slip a little in wave surge

·
Fishing addict..
199 Posts
Lots of good info here for steelies...I'd add speed up ...slow down as to a tip....I'd vary speed between 2.8 and 3.8 or even 4.2. ...
Also, many times in a [marked] bait ball I'll kick the boat out of gear, wait three or 4 seconds...then push immediately back to trolling speed ... the fall and rise / surge action of the spoons can be DEADLY on silver fish!!!..

·
Fishing addict..
199 Posts
Steelies will also typically come right to the d. rigger ball ....for them I've had good luck 7 to 12 ft back
..for targeting walleye I run 30' to 50 bk...

·
Registered
40 Posts
How far off shore is 63fow? I'm heading up there for the first time on Friday. Fished Erie a bunch but always near the islands. Planning on going for eyes but wouldn't mind bumping into a few steelhead as well.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
How far out do you have to go to hit 63 fow at Avon Especially n west. There is no 63 ft near lorain is there? That would be headed toward lorain is my thought. I’ve been out about 12 mile at lorain. Just learning still have to be asking.

·
Registered
733 Posts
39 north line we were fishing around the 39 north line and 06 line I thinknits about 7 miles north and a mile or 2 due west. We didnt really mark much but we did catch some out there we did better right off the point in shallow around 40 ft

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
had one on a 30 jet / wormburner and board in 59/60 fow 2.3 speed straight n of hot waters yesterday ...drug the board backwards along way before i could get up and clear the rod holder, sank board 3 times , never jumped ?? this fish was strong and fast peeled 100 back on the counter after all the runs goin deeper , but i got away , didnt get to see it bummer..

1 - 20 of 60 Posts