close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing Methods

Discussion in 'Carp Discussions' started by atrkyhntr, Aug 14, 2004.

1. I could NOT believe I read the following at the following Ohio DNR Link:
    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Fishing/aquanotes-fishid/ccarp.htm

FISHING METHODS: Carp can be caught with many different angling methods. Conventional equipment such as cane pole, throw line, or bait casting rods baited with dough balls, worms, crayfish tails, and similar baits are all effective. In addition, many anglers like to use bow and arrow to catch carp. Carp may also be taken with clubs, spears, and by snagging in overpopulated areas.
    If this was simply "catching" carp then they could be released unharmed but it is NOT!!! :mad:

WTF is that all about? CLUBS?? :eek:

Any comments...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. I am completely repecting all carp fishermen here but, they are an invasive species that make it hard on navtive fish. Only they are to wide spread and overpopulated for DNR to do anything about them. So they dont. Anything goes, clubs bows or hooks. I can understand that you guys enjoy fishing for them, your makeing the best out of the situation. But i also see no reason to protect them in any way.

3. Once again you are completely wrong on a subject...
    Carp were introduced to this country thus they do not fall under invasive species :rolleyes:
    Introduced as a food source, look in the link provided above...
    Guess you'd like to dump the ringneck pheasant too... it would fall under your invasive blanket :rolleyes:

4. Once again im not wrong, I did not use the wrong word. Were carp introduced to every county in ohio????? I think not. But they are there now. So they are invasive.

Yes they were introduce by euros for a food source. But that does not change anything. They were introduce before anyone knew what they were doing. And they are no longer used as a food sorce. There are few people that actually eat them.

I have been bow fish and carp snagging quite a few times, we always gave them to an old man down the road. He liked to eat them. And that is no different the catching them on a hook and eating them, so what is the big deal.

Man i am not giving you a hard time for being a carp fisherman. I am just saying how i think ODNR see it. It does not matter if you like to fish for them or not you have to see they have negativly affected native fish. They also grow too fast to be a major diet for native fish. Im sure DNR couldnt care less either way. There are too many to get rid of and they have know reasoning to protect them. Therefore it is anything goes.

The simple fact that almost nothing eats a mature carp (including humans) has caused them to be overpopulated. Come on man they are everywhere. Do you really think bow hunters, snaging, and clubing is really going to put a dent in the population. I truely think you will have all the carp you can catch for a long time.

Oh and iv never seen a ringneck pheasant, but iv seen tons of carp every time i go fishing.

5. I can never justify the killing of any animal or fish just for fun in the name of (give me a break) sport... That is not sport in my eye and using a club is as unethical as it can get...

6. Oh yea I think your right you can call them invasive they do fit the description as defined... :(
    My bad... :eek:
    Guess I'm lucky I harvest a few wild pheasant ever year :D

7. I can agree with that, when we Shot or snaged carp we gave them to the old man i was talking about. In return he would let us fish in his pond. (some people would frown on this deal but that is a different topic)

I dont like killing for no reason. But it is sorta like the the area where they are telling people to through flatheads on the bank. But when a fish has been there so long that lots of people dont know they are not native i guess the best thing to do is nothing. Dont protect them and dont try to get rid of them.

I dont hate carp i just always use to argue with my buddy about them for fun. When i started on the this site i got out of control a few time talking about them. I guess i just viewed it as people should not mess with nature, they just screw it up. If we introduce something we shouldnt have then we should get rid of it. But it is to late for that.

I guess it is to hard to decied right or wrong. But like i said i dont think you going to run out of carp any time soon.

No hard feelings :)

8. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Anyone ever tried sneaking up on and then clubbing a carp? I gotta think the fish has a pretty fair chance! I guess if someone gets their jollies batting carp and it is legal, then OK. Might make America's Funniest Home Videos.

9. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Hey Clyde,

I had a place here with a HUGE wild pheasant population that I could hunt. The pheasants are still there, but the nice lady that gave me permission to hunt her land passed on. Anyways, her son won't let anyone back there anymore......and it's ALL gone to pot now growth wise. Used to be taken care of really well. Such a shame :(

As for the rest of this topic.......I find it best to always stay out of it and carry on my daily routines :)

10. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Rusty,

With this quote:

Are you also agreeing then that the state should not stock: Saugeye, Steelhead, Hybrid Stripers, Brown/Rainbow Trout, etc. into Ohio waters? These are non-native fish....and the DNR messed with nature. If that is the case, any body of water that has been stocked should be drained and the fish removed, and let evolution take it's course to stock it ;)

Notice no carp in there :) Told you I was going to leave the topic at hand alone :D

11. Well when it comes to man made lakes it is hard to say. I would like to say put in whatever you want. But those fish can make it out of the lakes in to natural waters. I mean there are lakes in Cali that the are blowing up because out of hand introduced fish. We, all people, are not good at making adjustments to nature and still keeping that balance.

But heck we have all ready started so now we must keep it up. I say we go all out with it. Lets just see how many different fish we can get in Ohio..lol. So none of this really maters now, there is no more mother nature, we took over.

12. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

For once Rustyfish actually took the words right out of my mouth, minus the grammatical errors.

As for Ringnecks they don't do well here because of lack there of habitat and predation. Unfourtantly Northern America doesn't have many freshwater predatory species capable of eatting a 20lb carp.

13. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Shawn come on now man, you know all the species you listed generate buku bucks for the state ;)

14. Fishman are you ok, did you agree with me. haha

Hey its summer brake, i dont have to besmart untill i go back to college.

15. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

I like to eat Tacos.

Hey dumb A$$ Tacos are not native to Ohio. You might ruin all the native foods and their suppliers.

No I won’t

Yes you will

No I won’t

Yes you will

Take that and that and that you taco loven burrito head

Take that you fat smelly hamburger hugging grease monkey

Do you really think it matters? Fish for what you like, if you catch something you think is going to destroy the water way you are fishing and it is legal to do so then get rid of the fish. I for one have never taken a club with me to use as part of my fishing tackle. Apparently if you are a carp it’s legal to get clubbed. I myself have been fishing quite a few times and have never seen anyone club a carp but hey, doesnt mean it don’t happen.

:D

16. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Tom,

That's the exact reason they are looking to put stipulations on carp up on the St. Lawrence River now. Carp fishing is BIG $$$ up there. It's not about what is good for the enviroment, etc....it's where the $$ is. If carp were a highly sought after species in Ohio, the DNR's views would be different ;)

17. Bass Hawg, dude i cant even respond to that.

That was my point, DNR does not see it differently because they serve no real importance. I'm sure all of those other introductions were researched. And hybrids are possible in nature. In lots of the state trout do not do well enough to cause a problem if they get out of the man made lakes they are stocked in. As for tacos, most of the time they dont live more than five sec. in our habitat so they are not going to cause any problems. Although they are known to be disruptive coming out.

18. PAYARA

PAYARA THE ONE YOU LOVE TO HATE

I 100% agree with Shawn on this.carpfishing dose
    and has been bringing in the bacon up on the St larry
    for years now.oh and by the way,theres maybe a handful
    of FW species in NA that brings scores of anglers in from
    half way around the world to spend big $.guess whos at or
    very near to the top ;) of the list give it 20 yrs and specific
    carp strains will be purposly stocked into our waters for angling
    purposes.heck, 20yrs might be overkill :D.. .......

19. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Don't get me wrong guys, I love carp just as much as the next guy as far as fishing goes. As for as how environmentally sound they are - well thats another story.

Shawn you right, generally speaking the state does concern its self with money related matters first. However some of the species you listed, saugeye inparticular, we're introduced to fill a gap in the food chain. I know I'm preaching to the choir but walleyes and sauger don't do we'll in small lakes, saugeye fit the bill. Musky do great in medium sized lakes and are native to Ohio, however spawning rarley occurs in lakes they are stocked in. Hybrid striped bass are sterile - I know from personal experiance they ARE eatting machines, but overall on account of not reproducing there isn't a long term negative effect. It is fesable for Hybrid striped bass to occur naturally but because of mans intervention it rarely if never occurs. Browns and rainbows, for the most part are introduced to habitats where popular game fish don't fluourish (cold water). Granted the steelheads (also rainbow trout) are in lake Erie they live in areas perch and walleye do not - for the most part. There for they fill a niche that otherwise goes over looked.

Carp are a direct threat to native fish in every aspect of the idea aside from creating a forage base for fish which isn't realistic given the growth rates, if someone wants to argue that I'll go head to head with them on that.

They are here and there is no changing that. Enjoy them by any means possible whether is be by hair rig or club ;)

Rustyfish; I agree with you alot on common carp but you need to realise if you're going to tread on peoples thoughts about carp here - expecially in this portion of the webpage - you need to respect peoples views. Whats said isn't always right nor does it always make sense but you need to remember that these people enjoy carp and there is nothing wrong with that. Heck, I might like gobies and that doesn't give you the right to bash me for it.

20. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

yadi yadi yada...blah blah blah...thats all i got out of this thread..