close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing log software

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by creekwalker, Apr 20, 2008.

1. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

I might have posted this once before, but when I search for it, the forum coughs up a fatal error: ...memory exhausted. I'm guessing because of the word "fishing" being included, but when I leave it out, the results are very useful either.

Anyway, what do you use for tracking your fishing trips? I'm using a spreadsheet right now and have been for 3 years. It actually works pretty well, but I think I'm due for an "upgrade".

Also, has anyone given any thought to creating a standard template for fishing reports for the forums here? I know I've posted this one in a few forums here (SW and OR I think) and it never got any traction...maybe there's really no interest, but I thought I'd try again since I find it very useful. I have a Firefox extension that I wrote that inserts a template for me at the cursor (example below).

Date:
    Time: Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night
    Water Clarity: Clear/Stained/Muddy
    Weather: Sunny/Cloudy/Raining
    Target:
    Baits: 3" Swim Shad
    Depth: 0-4'
    Fish Count:
    Species Caught:
    Notes: "Notes Here"

CW

2. I have never kept a log but its an excellent idea. I find myself trying to remember conditions from succesful times past all the time. I did a little copy and paste of your log info into a word document. I would be curious to hear what others use as well. I wouldn't even mind logging into a book type log to have a hard copy as well. Is there someplace that makes an actual fishing log book that can be purchased?

3. creekwalker

Yeah, there is one that makes a book, but I don't recall off hand. There are several software options out there too, I'd just like to get some opinions on the options.

I frequently use mine to do just that, go back and see what the conditions were and try to use the same tactics. It would be awesome if there were a log that you could pool information on locations so you'd have more robust data to review for past outings and future planning :D

CW

4. creekwalker

I decided to do another Google search and turned up a new one. Looks pretty promising and it's FREE. Of course, there's probably a catch somewhere...maybe some spam coming my way, but I signed up anyway and thought I'd give it a try. I'll post back after I get some entries and see how the reporting works.

It's quite detailed for an online free log. I'm impressed so far. It also gives you the ability to have partners and view their logs too. Not quite the aggregate information I was looking for, but maybe I need to get some partners first and then I can run aggregate reports??

In case anyone wants to give it a try - Fish Swami

CW