close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing line

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by James F, Sep 18, 2017.

1. James F

James F Senior Member

Has anyone been using the Suffix Siege?I bought hi-vis yellow,and all I end up with is severe line twist,using it for drop shot,and slip bobber. several years ago, I had the same issue with the clear.Maybe I was hoping for too much from this line! I am going back to Trilene xl.Mostly panfishing with 4#, the siege is 6#. Not casting into the wind,yesterday the lake was like glass. i like the braid, but this stuff just isn't gettin' it !

2. some folks don't pay attention to which way they spool on the line, and it will spring off and tangle . wind it on your reel and stop and open bail, if it jumps off flip the new spool around and do it again , then when bail is opened it should fall off slightly. I'm with you I like braid, try some power pro in 5lb

3. I was having line issues early this season. Suffix siege was one of them so with the advice from fellow OGF I switched to power pro and it is great. And I can tow a dead tree clear across West Branch if I wanted to...

4. The drop shot is notorious for line twist. I love to fish a drop shot for bass so I have tried quite a few different things to stop line twist. and none of them get rid of it completely. I tried using a swivel about 10" up the line from the hook. It didn't help at all that I noticed so I went to some of the drop shot hooks that are designed to spin around a small wire shaft that you tie to.

Those cut down line twist much more than the swivel thing I tried, but it doesn't eliminate it completely. But, as I consider a drop shot a rig where I want the bait to look as natural as possible, I don't like the extra hardware at the hook, so I just put up with the line twist.

And as mentioned, looking for twist as you're putting line on a spinning reel is as you probably know ....... very important. I use fluorocarbon on spinning gear so I really have to be vigilant. After I put new line on a spinning reel I take it to the far reaches of my back yard and start pulling off line until I have pretty much all of the new line laying strung out on the ground. I pinch the line between my fingers just ahead of the reel and reel all the line back in. As I do my pinched fingers are pushing the twist out. Then I repeat the process. And sometimes I'll even do it a third time. I get all the twist out, but after about 2 or 3 times out fishing a drop shot, the twist is back. When that happens I either repeat the process I use when putting on new line, or I'll cut everything off and let line out and let it trail behind the boat.

It sounds like more of a pain in the butt than it actually is, and I personally will gladly do it in lieu of using braid. Braid is so soft it doesn't show twist, but I pretty much hate braid. I use it only when I absolutely have to. So pretty much only when fishing a hollow bodied frog. And it does make a nice main line for a Carolina rig.

5. Try the Sufix elite instead sometime. Siege isn't bad line, but it's the equivalent of berkley XT with a sufix label on it. Thicker diameter than average for a given lb test, but much higher breaking strength than what it says on the package.

Elite is a lot more supple and manageable imo.

6. I used some 6lb Suffix Elite this year for crappie fishing & felt that it had a higher breaking strength than several other brands of comparable line (Stren Original & Magnathin, BPS Excel, & Trilene XL). In terms of handling & memory I definitely thought that the performance of the Suffix Elite was best. Just my observations with light duty mono. I throw all of my ultralight crankbaits & inline spinners on 6 lb Nanofil.....which is awesome for that application. Mike

RAVDOG likes this.
  7. My 3 reels are all spooled with suffix elite #4 and 6#. They are smooth and cast well and have been very happy with them. Like bassbme I don't really care for braid line and use it only if I have to. Suffix Siege didn't impressed me 'cos of all the twisting.

8. JamesF

JamesF

Yes it's true, that when putting new line on, paying attention to the details are important to get the most out casting and line performance. Just as tying a good knot. My brother is always in too much of a hurry, to tie a good knot, tries to cast a mile:eek:. Some times I think that there's a Badger in the back of the boat:p.Casting into the wind is one of his biggest problems, grumbling and groaning, and grunting! I try not pay much attention to him until I feel the boat rocking and heavy breathing:oops:.Sounds like he's rutting back there:eek:.