close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing license question

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by AndroDoug, May 27, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

A friend of mine has a friend who wants to go fishing with him, and that guy doesn't have or feels the need to get a license. I guess this guy doesn't do much fishing and has never been checked, and thinks he can get away with it.

Can MY friend get in trouble if he has an unlicensed fisherman in his boat? My friend is legal, owns the boat with all the legal stuff he needs, and has a license. Someone told me once that in a situation like that, MY friend could get fined and his gear taken away as well.

Is this true? Or is that guy the only one responsible?

2. I don't have a answer to your question. but as the owner of the boat I would not alow him to go without a licence.I have friends who fish private water all year but do get a licence to go on my boat. there is no questions asked. if you want to go. get a licence.

3. I'm with fish 4 bass. Don't know the answer but I wouldn't let him on my boat. Sorry I can't help ya more though.

4. I would check the regulations to make sure, but I'm pretty sure you're not liable. Doesn't make sense.

Let me add though, the guy should get a license if he wants to fish.

Carl

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Your Friend can and will get into trouble. ODNR officers will set in their truck or the bank and watch. Can you loose your equipment? yes but that usually doesn't happen. If your stopped you know nothing about him having or not having a licences. If I may, why wouldn't he just go spend the $19.00 and be legal? If he's caught he'll wish he had. Fines can go to 1000's if they find enough wrong. Leave him on the bank to be safe.

6. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

You know, that's what I think too. I wouldn't let him on my boat. Get a license. But they are lifelong friends and fish once or twice a year together. He just mentioned this to me an hour ago or so, and I immediately asked all you guys "in the know"!!

After this thread is up for a while, I'll relay the info to him. They plan on fishing Sunday. I am just looking out for the well wishes of MY friend.

7. I agree that the guy should get a license, but I never ask if someone has a license to fish with me. I guess it comes down to the fact that these people are adults and if they're taking a chance it's up to them.
    I look at it like a seatbelt. It's an individual choice. They never ask me to buckle up if I don't want to and I do the same with them.

8. Your friend the boat owner will not get in trouble if he has a license. His buddy will get in trouble if fishing with him without a license, but the boat owner is not liable for those people he fishes with. Too much of a gamble, if you ask me. All it takes will be one time, and I'm sure the dude will either get his license or quit fishing.

Carl

9. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

There's a solution for this. Get a one day permit. I believe it's only $7. and if you decide to get a season permit, the $7 will be deducted from the total cost. NO ONE fishes from my boat without a license. I paid for mine, you pay for yours. (ps) I'm a non resident of Ohio, but i'll still pay $40. for the year.

10. Chaunc is right. I forgot all about that. I had to get a couple of those while back on summer break from school in TX over the years.

11. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Tell him that $7 (or $19) is worth it just for the sake of not having to worry about getting busted the entire day.

I remember a long time ago one guy in our group were bank fishing, he didnt have a liscence and was caught. It was a $90 fine, he had to pay it "NOW" ....and this was like 1990.....so Im sure the fine is much worse now.

Its funny how people see fishing so differently....I know an acquaintance at work who overharvests..(or at least he says he does....seems to be quite the b.s.'er or maybe a huge b.s.'er....I dont know him too well) There seems to be some people who just dont care what the law says when it comes to fishing.

Personally for me theres a lot of pride in being strictly legal.

12. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i have taken 2 guys from work on separate trips and asked if they had their liscences , and the answer was yes i have my liscense, just to find out that they lied. now i have to see it , before we launch!!!!!!!!!!

13. kingcrappie

kingcrappie Member

I would tell him you need a license. If he gets caught they will take all of his gear and get a hefty fine. Maybe then he will learn his lesson and always buy a license.You cant play a round of golf for nineteen bucks!!!!!