close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing for only one type of fish ???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by papaperch, Jun 27, 2007.

1. I have read several posts over the years where the author states " I fish strictly for muskie , bass or walleye or whatever. " Since I would classify myself as a multi specie angler I have always wondered why the specialization ? I normally fish for panfish but would not throw a decent walleye back in. Since I keep for the tablefare any good tasting fish usually ends up in the cooler. Bass on the otherhand are always released by myself and catfish as well. muskie and northern pike are also always released.

I do enjoy the catching of anything though and if bass were tearing up the water one day I would fish for them. I just seem to adopt the approach to go with whatever seems to be the best action on any given day.

I guess what I want to know is what prompts some of you to only pursue one particular type of fish. Now tournament bass fishermen would be self explanatory. But to use an example I set out for crappie but stumble into a hot bluegill bite. I am not going to thumb my nose at the gills if they are big enough. I am not being critical of anyone who prefers to only fish for one specie but just being curious.

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I used to fish for alot of different species..But once I caught my first big flathead catfish I lost all interest in fishing for smaller fish.

3. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Bass tournys!! = bass fishing only.

Young kids!! = panfishig only.

4. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I like the challenge of fishing for one species. I try to figure out everything I can about them and continue to improve. I mainly fish for bass, but every once in a while I will target crappies or 'eyes. But when I go for them that is usually the only tackle i bring and I don't stop until I have figured them out or ran out of time. If I am after crappie and figure out that I could be slaying the cats, I still stay after the crappies(at least until I'm satisfied with what I have caught)

5. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

Well, in the summer time I usually fish for Largemouth or smallmouth.
    In the winter time it is usually steelhead.
    I fish for other fish like walleye, just not very often.

6. early to mid spring i mainly fish for lm bass and smallies, late spring summer to early fall i usually fish for anything that bites, this year though ive really targeted catfish, and am learning anything and everything i can about targeting the bigger catfish, just the things ive learned from talking with pendogg66 and bigdogsteve and some of my buddies have opened my eyes to big catfish fishing so as of right now im targeting catfish primarily and i catch and release everything its all about the fight for me and the enjoyment of just sitting back relaxing and fishing with no worries at all.

7. I think it depends on your personality. For many folks, its almost a part of their DNA to want to learn as much as they can about those things (or species) they find most interesting. I enjoy all racquet sports, but many years ago I became obsessed with the game of tennis. I eventually got good enough to compete at an NCAA level. Today, I'd be happy to play one set without passing out :eek:.

8. I have ran into guys who will only fish for 1 or 2 species and consider everything else trash(never could really figure that out) Im game to fish for about anything:D I have my favorites as does everybody I suspect, but when push comes to shove Im up for about anything.

9. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

papa. In my eyes. I specialize on what ever type of fish i am targeting for one main reason, if not I would have about 3 rods for crappie, 5 for bass, ect. the targeted fish gets all the attention just because thats all i can handle.

10. Papa, I am like you. I am a multispecies angler to the core. Maybe its because I grew up on the Ohio River and with every changing season brought a new hot bite for a different species. I find it more interesting to fish for multiple species because tactics change with every species. Sure I could throw a grub and catch just about everything but you can blank that way too. I like to catch fish and don't think any fish is a "trash" fish.

Nothing wrong with guys who target just bass or musky or flatheads. Some guys get the bug and thats all they want to catch. As long as your having fun, more power to ya!:D

Jake

11. Good question papaperch!! I primarily target walleye when I am fishing for fish to eat, the wife and kids love them. I will fish for anything though, catfish, carp, gills, gar, bass, whatever I can catch. Whats funny is if I am walleye fishing I'll get irked when I catch sheephead, suckers, etc. and call them trash fish but if I am just "fishing" I'm happy to catch anything that will put up a fight.

12. I think I fit Papaperch's situation very closely. I do fish more for crappies now than any other species. Part of it is because I like to eat them. For that reason I am like you that I will target the gills when they are on. I used to do more targeting other species and part of the reason I don't do as much now is because of my boys. They are still younger and they require action to keep them interested and working a lake for hours on end for just a fish here and there is not there thing. We will still throw on the bass lures when they get active but if it dies down the smaller jigs go right back out. I think as the boys get older and are either more into the other species or are no longer joining me on every trip perhaps I will go back to targeting other species some more.

13. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

some people like to have lables placed on them and others will go with whatever bites. i shift gears year round and fish for whatever specie is predominately active and easily accessible.

Winter (steelhead/salmon)
    Early spring (walleye/northern pike)
    Mid Spring (crappie/white bass/lm & sm bass/channel cat)
    Late Spring (Lm bass/musky/River smallies)
    Summer (saugeye/musky)
    Fall (musky/salmon/lm bass)

14. Don't look now NBF, but you just labeled yourself ;) .

15. You know maybe it is just because I am a girl but I don't care what I catch. A fish is a fish to me. Now there are fish that I prefer to get just because of the fight. There are no trash fish in my opinion and I know people disagree but it's all fun! My boyfriend targets small mouth typically and gets upset if he happens upon a crappie or rock bass. I think alot has to do with ego. As I have seen it takes a certain amount of knowledge and skill to catch different fish. People want to puff out there chest and say look what I caught. I know that I do it too so I am no different.

Again this is all my opinion and I hope that no one jumps on me for it.

16. It's in mens genes to prove their prowess as a hunter/provider.

17. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

he, he...and a lot of tackle in the way too. Kinda like goin deer huntin and carrying small game equipment with you also including turkey calls!