Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an old school crappie fisherman who has just returned to fishing after about 40 years and boy did I miss it. I have always used minnows as that is how my dad taught me to fish at Indian Lake:G. But, I see and hear the praises of many new artificial baits for crappie. What are some of your favorites? I hear a lot about jigs, small spinners, grubs and tubes. Any of these prove successful for you and are some better for spring or fall or are they good all year round. Thanks so much for any help

Crappiemeister

·
Registered
71 Posts
A friend of mine turned me onto RoadRunner jigs. I never really crappie fished until this year. He gave me one of those and I was catching fish all day long. You may have to experiment with the type of tube/body you put on the jig itself but they are easy to use. Cast them out, let them sink until you think they are in the water column, then reel them in nice and slow.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
A friend of mine turned me onto RoadRunner jigs. I never really crappie fished until this year. He gave me one of those and I was catching fish all day long. You may have to experiment with the type of tube/body you put on the jig itself but they are easy to use. Cast them out, let them sink until you think they are in the water column, then reel them in nice and slow.
What size of Road Runner jig do you use?

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
There's lots of small plastics that work for crappies.... Small curly tail grubs,small spinners small tubes, Berkley has a ton of crappie stuff.... Minnows are terrific bait for crappies , IMO, its beacuse they can be used almost year round and still produce crappies. Sometimes,in the middle of summer, the jig bite kinda sucks..but minnows will still get em.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I'm catching LOTS of keeper(10"+) and have been all summer casting and trolling the cheap Arkies crappie cranks from Wally world.Multiple lakes,multiple times of day.They just work! Now as fall approaches and they come in closer again,pretty much anything will work.Just gotta locate them.I had a banner fall last yr w/out even launching a boat.Just hit brush,tossing a small jig w/white twister and tipped w/small minnow.Didn't even have to move the jig.toss it out and let it drop on a tight line,feel a tick,reel them in, repeat.All this = full freezer.But right now,those smallish cranks where the schools are is the ticket.For me anyways.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
71 Posts
1/8 oz or 1/16 oz. The lighter ones seem to produce better though.

Sent from my DROID4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Last time out on Cowan, I used a jig and float tipped with a Crappie nibble since our minnow supply was dwindling. I caught as many or more than the guy using minnows, although he was a newbie.

I have not had much luck getting roadrunner blades to spin on slow retrieves. I here they work great, but have had zero luck.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is a crappie nibble and how deep were you. I am thinking 8-12 feet maybe less depending on the depth. Cowan is pretty shallow but near the dam can reach 30 feet.

Crappiemeister

·
Hopelessly Hooked
1,376 Posts
Crappie nibbles are a Berkley product they come in a small jar, got yellow ones from bps, although they didnt work today at Acton, but minnows barely worked either!

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
"I have not had much luck getting roadrunner blades to spin on slow retrieves. I here they work great, but have had zero luck."

.....same here montagc...i like them, but on a slow retrieve...thae blade sucks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
If anyone is interested look up Bobber Down Crappie Jigs on Facebook. Lots of good stuff that has worked for me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use bass pro 1/32 oz road runner jigs it has a nice slow fall with the blade on it. I also use the Blake more roadrunner jigs. I also break the paint loose from both product's barrel swivel to get the blade to spin freely. I also order custom jigs for www.nightprowlerjigs64.com he is a member here and other sites he can usually make what ever you need for pan fishing, he ties jigs makes regular jigs weedless jigs and I think he also makes weedless pony head jigs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Clean the paint off the swivel that's attached to the blade......they'll spin much better

Bobby garland baby shad......hot grubs.....scent wigglers.......run of the mill tubes all produce for me.......

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think all these suggestions are spot on here is my addition early spring black chart hair jigs or small tubes 1/32 or smaller until spawn then anything inch and half or smaller brighter colors summer go with bigger bates and troll around road runners or small cranks fall ice fishing jigs or spider or ant jigs and hair jigs I tip all with wax worms or minnows depending how much time I have also my buddy swears by gulp alive and does very well dont use wax worms if u dont like gills

1 - 16 of 16 Posts