Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a different fishing chat group. He did not say what caused it.

This could be from pulling the line off a snag and it came back an nailed him. Same thing can happen when a fish spits a lure when mono line is tight. Then there is always the risk of getting a hook in the eye when your fishing partner is swinging their rod back.

Fishing eye injury

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, these photos are not for the squeamish! This is a safety issue that needs to be addressed however. FISH HOOKS IN THE EYE! Nearly everyone wears sunglasses during the day while fishing, but unless you need prescription lenses, how many of you wear clear safety glasses while night fishing? Not many right? I'm taking my beloved 11 year old granddaughter overnight fishing next weekend and want to make sure she wears clear safety glasses after sundown, she wears sunglasses during the day. PLEASE, take this warning to heart; WEAR CLEAR SAFETY GLASSES when you aren't wearing sunglasses while fishing or risk horrible injury.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Always look away when pulling on a snag. I'd rather get that in the back side or even head, can't imagine that happening.

·
florida ice fishing
14,056 Posts
that is a horrible sight. no pun intended.

I had a 1st cousin lose his sight in one eye from the sinker hitting him in the eye while pulling loose from a snag.
sherman

·
Registered
372 Posts
Owch that's gotta hurt.

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
Ouch, I'm always mindful of Bill Dance getting it in the crotch with a bunch of trebles and am careful when pulling on a snag.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
kayak fisher
148 Posts
Been there when I was in 3rd grade. Had a hook in the eye. Lost the eye for the most part. But there was no pain at all. Just had a shadow across the eye where the hook was, could feel the hook move when I blinked. Was wrote about in some eye mag. It happen in the mid 60s.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
582 Posts
I put a float nearly one inch between my fingers while steelhead fishing. The stems are much sharper then one would think. I wasn't even cranking on the rod very hard but a 13 footer really turns up the velocity. While it didn't hurt all that bad it did scare me a bit when I pulled it out.

I know duck with a little more urgency when a float comes swinging back.

Sunglasses/glasses are a must when fishing for a variety of reasons.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire[/ ]

·
Registered
972 Posts
I saw this thread post up last week and refused to open it. Now im asking myself why in the world i decided to!! That is just flat out painfull

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
When I was fishing in a creek a couple weeks back, I was pulling at a snag, when it came free and rocketed straight at my face! I'm lucky I was wearing sun glasses because that sucker slammed in to them right over my left eye, hard enough to leave my face sore underneath. If I wasn't wearing them, that would have been an ER trip for sure. Closest call I've ever had with a fish hook and eye. Please be careful!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts