close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing Etiquette Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by archman, Dec 8, 2004.

1. I just wanted to throw this out there and see what you guys think. If I am steelhead fishing on one side of the river, and it is obvious that the hole is on my side, should I be getting mad when someone clear on the other side of the river puts on a big bobber and casts all the way over to the hole? The hole is not that big, and the guy's bobber literally drifts close enough to me where I could reach down and grab it half the time. His drifts are probably about 20 yards long. I have to wait for him to reel it in before I can even make a cast most of the times. Understand that I am usually the first one there. If this guy had gotten there before me, I would have no complaints. I don't mind sharing a hole with someone, but when I constantly have to wait and adjust my casting, it annoys me. The funny part is that times when it's been sunny and on a particular cast I didn't see his bobber and I cross him, he gets all ticked off. Am I in the wrong here?

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Absolutely NOT! If you're there first he should respect that and give you a wide berth. It makes no sense whatsoever for another fishermen to encroach on the area where someone is already fishing. Anywhere within twenty feet is too close. I'd have to say something to him in the way of backing off a bit.

3. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

I'd tangle with him every cast, till he left, or I'd yell out : "HEY !! stay on your side of the river"

That should work

4. catking

catking Banned

Even catmen know better than that :rolleyes: What is the heck is going on up that a ways :rolleyes: .....Cut the float loose and watch it drift on down the river ;) ............ ~**~

5. The sad part is that it's not always just this one guy. Whenever we start catching fish on our side, the big "pear" bobbers come out and you'll see 5 or 6 bobbers floating right through the hole where you just caught your fish. I just singled him out because he's there the most. But what do you do when it's a whole gang of guys?

6. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

THATS when you invite Thresher and Catking up from Cincinnati to go Steelie Fishing LOL :eek:

7. Etiquette tells you which side of the plate to put your fork & spoon. Unfortunately, it no longer applies to fishing or boat ramps. It's best just to expect the worse and be prepared to either stand & fight or flee to another hole. Just about anyone (including inconsiderate fishermen) can legally conceal a handgun nowadays.

8. this falls in that category of are you a fisherman or a sportsman. People in this day of age seems entitled to just about everything. It's in the way we drive, and apparently fish. I think it's not unacceptable for you to say something, but again you have to be careful. You never know what someone will do in this day of age. Look at that hunting incident in Minnesota or Wisconsin. Not worth getting killed over.

Eric

9. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

I used to have that problem when my Grandfather and I would go fishing mind you that was a long time ago, but Grandpa had some real tricks up his sleeve, We fished the Great Miami River for a lot of years, he would allow those guys to float there bobbers in the area and if they caught a fish then he would get hung up in there line he would shout across and say, "let some line out and I'll get it untangled", what they didn't know was while it looked like he was untangling a big mess he would have it untangled in a matter of seconds then would just tie an overhand knot above the hook and cinch it down tight, next fish on would snap off there line, neat trick and I watched it work for years on end, as Grandpa was a very patient man. You would hear those guys get all mad when the line busted..............Doc

10. Doctor, that would work but they never catch any fish :)

11. catking

catking Banned

Thresher hit it right on the nose. Invite him and DA KING !!! up ;) Have giant cattin rods will travel ...............~**~........... :D

12. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

well..thats what i would call "you're being Paylaked" .. i would definitely let him know NOT to cast over again..
    or just put on a big crankbait and cast it his way.. :)

13. stop on your way up North and pick up the SNATCH

14. Dingo

Dingo

I have a great place for you to try on the rocky. You take the time to walk upstream to fish a hole, only to have guys from across the river (on a wall) cast to your feet. Have had guys hit my rod tip from the other side with their lines. I like the idea of putting a knot in the line above the hook -- will have to try that one.

Just think how it was in the late 1970s during the salmon stocking -- guys casting at you with over an ounce of lead on an oversized treble hook.

15. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

this happens when i have been fishing down at the spillways in the Tappan area. It does get pretty annoying. I just left, but i have said somethings before, esp. on my home lake when i feel crowded.

16. there is no fishing etiquette anymore :(

17. As far as I can see there is no etiquette when it comes to fishing. This has been the worst year that I have ever seen. I get on the water at dark just to get the spot that I want to fish even though I know that I will be casting for two hours before the fish start to hit. After I get the first fish on you would think that it was the only spot on the river that holds fish. I have had groops of five or six guys surround me on both sides to where I could have hit them in the head with the tip of my rod. They would cast their bobbers so close that I would not be able to fish. One even floated a bobber so close that he hooked my wader and put a nice pinhole in it. It is a real shame that with the little time that I get to fish these days that I have to put up with this kind of grief. I can't wait untill it get cold so it will thin out the hord of people. Thanks Archman, I feel much better now :D :D .....JIM

18. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Wow I think that most everyone has already said the same as what I would do. First I think I would let it slide for a cast ro two, but then I think I would get a little ticked. I know when I am fishing and have someone come later and cast in front of me, I just keep casting right where I was before even though it may be in front of them. I was fishing the area first, so leave me alone. I have had people get mad, but I just keep casting. I was not in the wrong. I have never had the problem this bad though. I definately would have to cast over his line and when I reeled up his line I would untangle my lure then cut his line. If he did not like it, too bad for him, should not have been doing that. Obviously the guy is not much of a fisherman. Or even much of a man if he does not respect your fishing area. It cracks me up how people can be when it comes to fishing spots. Like when I am at clendening and they line up along the bridge. Not too bad when you are all friends sharing some fishing, but if you just come up and start casting in front of people. I call baloney on that. Can't stand it when it happens to me, so cut it!

19. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Ah Yes...the good ole days :D

Archman, When I first read your post, I thought the same thing that Catthing said. If he's on the other side, I doubt he'd be much of a threat for retaliation.

20. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

it's obvious that idiots will never be on the endangered species list! :D
    the next time it happens simply put on your own extra large bobber and fire it back across the stream at him several times.he'll probably get the hint. :D