Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have fished Erie 4+ miles out...intentionally alone... tell about your experience.

((Please...don't debate the wisdom of such actions. That is another subject. If the wisdom of such an action interests you...open another thread.))

Good luck.....be safe out there.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Yea I've done it. The only problem I ran into doing it was getting help launching, and recovering my boat. Went out of Catawba to Niagara and caught six casting.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,044 Posts
ive done it several times off bula, in fact had a trip where i was about 17 miles out, not a soul in sight, lake was flat as a pancake and it was about 100* out. i loved it but the walleye kept spitting the hook before i got them to net. i did have one day where i was headed out 10+ miles and my prop spun about 3 miles out, just put her in gear at idle and was back at lakeshore several and i mean several hours later. both these days were nice deep solo trips.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'm alone on just about every Erie trip. I generally fish on Fridays and all of my friends work. I have been out about 15 miles on many occasions. Just last week I was out on the dumping grounds twice. I go where the fish are biting. Just for the record though, solo trolling sucks! My boat does not track well and it means a lot work for one guy to try to stay the course and reel in a fish. I really do hate trolling!

Wes

·
(stcroixjoe)
975 Posts
I have done it a few times this year netting fish is kinda rough thank goodness for auto pilot,double headers are fun

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EZ.......theeeeeee original wild man! great pics. thanks.

Fishin solo out a ways (in good weather) is a spiritual experience for me. Hooking and netting is a distraction.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I fish alone nearly all the time. I just make sure I leave a "float plan" with my wife, have a cell phone, marine radio, and all the proper safety/emergency gear. I have never fished far out enough to where land wasnt in sight.

·
Catcher of Fish
2,855 Posts
I love fishing alone. I too leave a float plan with either the gf or my son. If the fish are really on i won't even fish two rods - it becomes too much like work.

·
Registered
979 Posts
i usually fish alone and love it. have safety equipment, always wear lfejacket, except when anchored for perch in calm waters. go up to 10 miles out. the alone time keeps me somewhat sane. in fact i'm on my way right now

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
I been out 7 miles in my 14' aluminum w/25hp motor. Normally I'm in much closer, just depends on the time of year and where the perch are hitting. Always off of Cleveland. I'm am usually by myself.
This is about 4 miles out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I fished alone 70% of the time until my girlfriend started fishing. Now I dont go by myself enough ;)

I always let a few people know my float plan. I give starting spots and subsequent spots. When I remember to call; I call when Im on the move so that they are aware of my moving. I always make sure the fluids are topped and take a minute to make sure everything sounds normal, pumping water etc. When I do this I'm comfortable runing as far as I want. I will go onthe lake in the same conditions alone as I would with a buddy. Boat launch and recovery is something that becomes a science after a few launches / recoverys'. If I walk forward from stern to bow; I will take a second to put-on my life jacket where I may not if I have a buddy with me. Being away from shore and the crowds and having that spot to yourself are some of my favorite times!

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Bob, I've done it several times, and always try to be extra safe. With an autopilot, (which makes fishing solo a snap) if you go overboard, the boat will just keep going.

I'm curious as to why the question?

·
Premium Member
10,892 Posts
I have many, many, many, many times. The farthest was around 14 miles out of Avon.

I have changed a couple of things when trolling alone now. I wear my life vest and attach a long kill switch cord. I have thought about what it would feel like to fall overboard and watch as the boat with the autopilot set just keeps puttering away. Especially when I was way out trolling for the steelhead

·
useless poster
8,806 Posts
all the time have been out 17 miles to the hump. i make sure the weather pattern is stable and no fronts moving in. humid days are a no no ,as that means a possible storm popping up anywhere anytime .i have been out to the dumping grounds a few times already . havn't been out to the 70 fow as much in the last few yrs as it is a very long ride.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
I used to fish alone a lot. Not so much anymore. I used to put my 50' boat rope out off a rear cleat with a cushion tied on, opposite of the rods while fishing. The only fear I had was falling overboard and the boat keep going. Never fell out, but the floating cushion gave some security to me. Figured I had a chance to get to the rope if I went over.

·
2100 FishMaster
649 Posts
I too fish alone most times...I have had plenty of sucessful trips out numerous times this year already for the eyes and perch. I often call my friends and they say they want to go, however something always comes up and I have to make the decision to go or stay at home...the answer is always GO FISHING! I remember last year out of Lorain on the sanbar I fished by myself and had a 50 fish day over the span of about 5 hours of trolling on one straight line due north ended up about 12miles or more out before I decided to turn around because I didn't see another boat or land out there. As stcroixjoe said thank goodness for autopilot. As for launching and retreiving of my rig, I used to apprehensive about it, however because I had to launch, fish, and reteive by myself I quickly got over that...I unhook my bow eye and straps, take my dock line and hook it to the bed of my truck, float it off, get out and come around and tie her up, then park, and finally GET FISH!:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've done it often mostly due to different work schedules, last minute decision to go, etc... The launching/retrieving doesn't bother me. It's easy for me only having a 16 1/12 ft'er, but 2 things I believe help make it easy is the tailgate on my pickup and tall guide pole-lights on the trailer-- easier to see when backing up without boat, and they help keep it center while I'm pulling it up, probably easier for the traffic behind me too.
As far as fishing solo, once in a while the solitude is just what I need to clear my mind.....hmmm maybe the clear mind has get me from catching fish, LOL.
In calm waters it's not to bad, I too, have a wandering (to the right) boat, I've been slowly adjusting the trim tab, in rough water it's difficult, even harder when setting up 2 rods. I have all the safety gear but in certain area's lose my cell signal (sprint), wonder how other carriers are?.

One thing I really need to improve on though is a float plan for others, maybe that's why I go out with mostly a Northern wind, it'll keep me on the southside,,,,, just kidding. As always be safe, no matter how many are on the boat!

·
Registered
442 Posts
EZ, you should think about some sun protection, or maybe you were just working on your Halloween LOBSTER costume!

As far as fishing alone, my wife made me promise to never do it again after we lost a customer that was solo fishing out of Beaver Park 2 summers ago. Somehow he managed to wind up in the water. Another boat saw his boat operating erratically and came over to investigate. They found Ron in the water with his life jacket on, alive. The problem was he didn't have enough strength left to get on to their boat. He was still alive when the Coast Guard got there, but had a heart attack and died on the way back in.

I am not trying to be a downer, but a mate on the boat would likely have helped to avoid this tradgedy.

At least consider wearing a mustang vest when you are out alone.

Food For Thought,

Chris

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I keep having this dream, I take my wife out way past the crib, limit out in 1 hour. then return to the dock alone. Does that count?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts