close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing During T-Storms?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by spidey, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Was fishing Hoover yesterday again. The fish went nuts just before the storm blew in. I caught SM, catfish, nice size bluegill and something I couldn't horse up on my 8 lb test line. I was stoked. But, as soon as I heard the thunder, I high tailed it off the water as quickly as I could. I took a nap in the back of my jeep hoping the storm would blow over. It did, but there were still brilliant arcs of lightening. And there were people still fishing, boats still on the water with a light show going on. I was just amazed. As much as I love fishing, I love living even more. As unlikely as it is that I'll get zapped, I just wonder who wants to chance it? The fish will be there. Just wondering if it's just me to think it's not ok to fish in a thunderstorm.

Oh, did anyone bag any saugeye from the lake yesterday? I only hooked up with catfish on my crawler harness. I'm sure what broke me off wasn't a saugeye.

2. Spidey, I am with you!! I freak even being in my house durring a storm. I'd never stand in a storm fishing. Connie

3. I like to wade alot so when we begin to hear the thunder we make tracks back to the car.

4. I wade the Maumee for walleye all spring long. It amuses me when everyone scatters from the lightning and rain. I usually hold my ground and keep fishing. Several years back there was a group of 5 of us fishing a nice drift on the maumee and it got real nasty out. All of sudden the tornado sirens started going off and a few minutes later it started hailing on us. I was a little freaked but the other idiots I was with just started laughing a kept on fishing, so I naturally acted like it didn't bother me too. Never did see the tornado.

5. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Just experienced this so called fishing in a thunderstorm at greenlawn....not my cup o tea!

6. Girl With A Pole

Girl With A Pole Shakes Favorite Problem

whoo Hoooo---

just fished through the storm at griggs... caught some decent saugeyes... on none other then... [drum roll please]

[​IMG]

not a bad hr on the water... but as soon as it started to stink and the dead fish started rolling over the damn... we peaced outta there and hit up some food.

getting pics of stuff up soon. then we will wait and see how long before admins remove them

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

LOL,go girl
    roadrunners......................they're not just for crappie anymore:D

as for making a human lightening rod out of myself................not gonna happen.i'm crazy........................but contrary to what my wife says,i'm not STUPID;)

8. Couldnt agree more with the lightning rod theory:)

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

btw spidey,we picked up 3 saugeyes saturday morning on harnesses.tough bite for sure and all were short.conditions were definitely not optimal.

10. fishing in a thunderstorm is dicey----when tournament fishing ive experienced saint elmos fire on 2 occasions and had so much static electricity in the air that your line will not settle on the water ---the lure goes in the water but the line keeps going up---thats the indicator that conditions are good that you are the next thing that is going to get hit--your hair stands up on your arms and neck -we motor up and leave the area ---right now!

i heard of a sailboat that hit on the mast moored at put-in -bay and the shroud lines turned red hot like a filament of a light bulb

another one was a trolling rig got hit and took all the rods across the back of the boat out

ive done it but it still makes me nervous

11. I was float tubing my favorite pond (with my favorite graphite rod) when the storm came up tonight. Had three bass, including a 19"er, within the first 20 minutes when I first heard the thunder. Thought I'd slowly ease back to the shore where I put in and fish back. Caught one more on the way back (I stretched it to about 10 more minutes), cursing the storm all the way. One foot was in, and one foot was out of the pond when I saw the first lightening bolt. By the time I was back to the truck, I was wet more than just from the waist down from the lack of waders.

But, when that first thunder sounded, right after I released the big bass, I was thinking what spidey said..."how likely would it be I'd get hit" with all the trees around the pond. But, I've got two kids and a wife to go home to. And my son, at 3.5 years old, seemed worried when I told him I was going fishing -- even he was smart enough to worry with a storm coming in. Better safe than sorry. Hopefully I've got a lot of years left to catch more bass, no sense risking it all for just one more...

chip

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

here's what's left of a rod and reel that got hit while the guy was holding it:eek:
    it was posted a year or so ago in the erie forum.

Attached Files:

13. sycamore440

sycamore440 nothing like fishing

Hey Girl i got a pic here of a nice one i caught sat night on the scioto just by the marina.. I caught a baby blue gill and waited to this guy to get hungry..sure enough...whatta hit it put up..enjoy this is one of my better ones off griggs....

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  14. Wow that's crazy what happened to that pole.

It started lightning and storming within the last 30 minutes of the tournament Saturday and my engine was down. Luckily I was close to the dock and used the trolling motor and went in 20 minutes early to play it safe. I will not stay on the water if it's thundering or lightning...I am definitely not the type of person to think it won't happen to me, a small chance is too big of a chance.

Being on a boat in a body of water makes you the highest object on the lake, and really increases your chance of getting hit, regardless of how many trees are around the lake...just not worth it.

15. I have no problem with rain and wind but boy the lightning puts the fear of God in me, especially after looking at that pole;)

16. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

The odds of getting hit by lightning are 700,000 in 1. You're more likely to get in an accident on the way to the lake or drown once you're on the water than get hit by lightning. As I stated before IMO if you get struck by lightning then its just fate, your ticket has been punched, period. Some of the best fishing is in the rain and nothing is going to scare me from it. Not a hardass here but I guess when you face death early in life as I did on the operating table then you try and live every day to its fullest.

CARPE DIEM! We have nothing to fear, but fear itself.

17. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

as someone who has also faced death at an early age(and also recently) on the table,and someone who died twice and came back,i also try to live each day like it may be my last.but i at the same time i'm not gonna foolishly up the odds on today being that day;)
    like i'said before..................i might be crazy,but contrary to what my wife will tell you,i'm not stupid:D ;)

18. Capital outdoorsman

Capital outdoorsman day late, dollar short

watch out for those lightning storms. I have a great uncle I never met because lightning ricocheted off his evinrude into his back while high tailing it off the water.

No fishing for me this weekend. Only memorial tourney.

19. Eriesteamer

Eriesteamer BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

I was fishing and a bolt hit the water and send juice up my line man it was a shock to the system.could been worst though.I thought maybe I hooked up with electric eel .( just my way to put it) LOL

20. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

I really don't like thinking about this anymore but (Shakedown, Chopiq) and I were probably at least 3/4 of a mile into the darby almost to the promised land last night and mother nature reared her ugly head!

Yeah ...we got stuck way back in the bush!!:D . Me and shake looked like cross country runners but Chopiq and his short legs blew by us! Crazy loud thunder and lightning all around us. We mostly went back thru the river because the nettles were tearing our legs up. So imagine 3 dudes up to our necks in water running for our lives. The ending was a kicker!!
    50 yard dash straight up a slick muddy hill that was now a mini waterfall.
    Nothing like a little exercise with your fishing!!

oh yeah...we caught a few fish.
    think 15 smallies (chopiq had one stud that was near 3lbs):B
    and a few saugers

this trip was def. not for the weak!!
    maybe with all that commotion brandon has forgot how many times i retied :D
    lots of advil this morning
    thanks fella's