Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I was just curious if anyone had any pointers, advice or reading material as starting a Lake Erie charter is concerned. I will be graduating from college here in the next month or so and will hopefully be able to get a job as a Firefighter/ Paramedic; at least part time for now. I was kicking around the idea of starting a charter on Erie for mainly walleye, and maybe perch. I realize this is not something that is going to happen overnight. I am mainly trying to do some research right now to see if it would be worth my time and money within the next 5 or so years to get this up and running. Any input or suggestions about this topic would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,379 Posts
A few things you will need is a 6 pak license, a boat, experience, and equipment. Basically, you'll need a lot of money!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Be smart. Focus on a real job and income (firefighter/paramedic) for 2-4 years while building your "Erie" knowledge as a hobbie. At the same time you need to save 15-30K to start a business.

Then think hard about what you want to do.

Keep your dream....don't be dumb.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thnks for the advice guys. I realize that it is going to be a lot of money up front for gear and licenses and such. My plan was to work as a firefighter for the time being while I gain more knowledge and experience on Erie as well as learning about fishing different areas of the lake. Like I said, I was kinda hoping if I went through with this it would be in the next 5-8 years. I'm looking to wake up one morning and have a business...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I thought they had put a freeze on the hiring in the fire fighters field.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It depends on the city.... When I graduate I will only be able to work part time for a year or so due to the fact that I'll only be 20. And to work full time you need to be 21 , at least at the departments around me. I have a few possibilities as far as part time opportunities as of now. So we'll see what happens.

·
Elk Hunter
99 Posts
Hello all,
I was just curious if anyone had any pointers, advice or reading material as starting a Lake Erie charter is concerned. I will be graduating from college here in the next month or so and will hopefully be able to get a job as a Firefighter/ Paramedic; at least part time for now. I was kicking around the idea of starting a charter on Erie for mainly walleye, and maybe perch. I realize this is not something that is going to happen overnight. I am mainly trying to do some research right now to see if it would be worth my time and money within the next 5 or so years to get this up and running. Any input or suggestions about this topic would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.
Depending on where you live I would go to one of the classes taught every year rather than try to do it with stuff you get from the c.g.You will be surprised at the amount of information you will be required to learn,believe me even after taking a course a lot of people fail 1 of the 4 tests.While you are at it get your masters w/towing,all this will be fresh in your mind making it much easier than waiting to get later.Don,t forget your Oh. guide lic.commercial ins.,drug card,twic card,etc.everybody wants in your pocket before you make a dime.Call Guy [email protected] Tibbels Marina in Port Clinton he can help you out w/class dates.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
The Power Squadron offers classes for people to take re navigation, safety etc. Not sure how ya find their schedule of offerings. Maybe someone here will chime in.

This would be a good investment of time given your interest. Tons to learn.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Check the requirements for a coast guard liscense to see if you have enough seatime to even qualify for a license. It will take some time and effort and lots of money to get started on your own but if you have the license you might catch a ride with an established charter service. This gets you good experience and saves the cost of a boat at a young age. If you have any questions give me a call. Best of luck to you. Dick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts