close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fishing a tube in the creek

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by bronzebackyac, May 10, 2005.

1. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

Just wanted to see what you guys have had the best luck with regarding tubes in the creek for smallies. color,rigging, technique etc...

2. jfout

jfout 25 lber, I'm gloating

Strike King KVD 4" tube in Watermelon/ Red Flake, W/ Gamakatsu (sp?) 1/8th or 1/4 oz jig head (Depending on Current).

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I like BPS tender tubes in watermellon or a translucent brown or gitzit tubebes in most colors. i texas rig mine with a e-z weight in side with a size 2/0 gamastaku EWG hook. on 8lb yo-zuri hybrid line.

4. 3.5” Snoozers tube
    RoadKill Camo
    1/8oz BPS EZ rattling tube weight
    3/0 Gammy EWG Tex-Posed
    8LB Seaguar Fluorocarbon
    G.Loomis SJR 782 or 783
    Shimano BioMaster 2500

I use this set-up for about 99% of all my smallie fishing.

Let the fish determine how you work the tube. Sometimes they want to hit it on the fall, sometimes dragged or bounced on the bottom. Or, like last night, they wanted it worked on top like a soft jerk bait.

5. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

4'' BPS Tube in GREEN PUMPKIN
    1/8oz-3/16oz Jig Head
    8lb P-Line Floroclear
    6'6 M All-Star Spinning Rod
    Shimano Symetre 2500

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  6. Zoom small tube in brown and black
    Owner tube hook: 3/0 with attached 1/8 ounce weight (fits inside tube)
    8 pound test
    Medium-heavy spinning rod with spinning reel

This gets me probably 95% of my smallies around any type of wood cover!

7. Color is not as important as location and action of the bait. I'm sure all these replies will justify this.

8. bird

bird

location, location, action

9. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

3" Venom tubes in any shade of green, brown or even black, rigged with a 1/8oz jig inside of the tube. That bait is so money.

10. Pumpkin/chart cabin creek tube
    1/8oz. tube jig
    6lb. silver thread
    7'6" m/l croix
    stradic 2500

11. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

Thanks for the help guys, I picked up some Venom Tubes at Walmart in brown and pumpkinseed. Had nice smallies on with both of the colors yesterday. Just couldn't get one in the boat. I will keep trying. They usually hit when dragging across the bottom. Any tips on hooksets? I rigged them with a 3/16 slip sinker texas style w an EWG gammy.

12. You are ALWAYS going to miss some strikes with tubes, but they get more than enough strikes to compensate for the relatively low hook-up percentage. What size tube/hook were you using? I moved from the 2/0 to the 3/0 EWG with 3.5” tubes, and I feel like I have a higher hook-up percentage. Are you Texas rigging the tubes (buried hook point), or Tex-posed (exposed hook point). Again, I have switched to Tex-posed rigging, and feel like I now have a higher hook-up percentage. Oh, and one last word of advice…smallies have a very hard mouth…….cross their eyes!