close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fishing 7/22

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by rockbass, Jul 23, 2004.

1. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Well after fishing for bluegills at clendening, I went fishing with a buddy for catfish. We went to a back water area near New Phila. Well we were targeting catfish. Baits were chicken liver and shrimp. Well it started out ok. we got back there prob 1030 or so. I started with a cat that was about 23 inches long on liver. then followed up with a bowfin on the shrimp that got off after I got him on the bank. followed him with a catfish 25 inches long. after that, we both caught bowfin on shrimp. I never caught a bowfin and landed it before. ugly fish and fight like hell and don't wear out much. oh yeah, also caught a softshell turtle on shrimp. total was 2 cats, and I think 9 bowfin and one turtle! All fish released to fight another day! :) was not too bad for the first trip there. Only thing was the heck of a hike back to it. :mad: I am going to try to find an easier way to get back there. I want to fish it again. I ran out of chicken liver too soon

2. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

i think i know exactly where you were fishing the bowfin have pretty much taken that lake over, it used to have some real nice largemouth in it up to about 7 lbs. they slowly got fished out or i think the bowfin may have killed them off. the catfishing used to be excellent in there too havent been there in about 3 years. did you go out to the little finger area in the middle of the lake ?? were you down at the lake across from cookson avenue off the southside or the lake over by the bp gas station ?? bowfins are the meanest damn fish ive ever caught but they eat everything !! did you have alot of hits ??

tcba1987

3. rockbass

rockbass Banned

All I know is we parked near the water treatment plant near the airport, and walked a long ways back in. we went under the highway, so not ssure what area that is exactly. I just know it was a long walk for carrying stuff! once we got to the water area, we kept on walking until we got to the end of the path. it was pretty open. I could not tell, but I think the water wrapped around the spot where we were fishing. We were hoping for cats, but the reason we were there was because my buddy that showed me the place was there last sunday night with his cousin and they caught some bass on shrimp. weird I know! So that is why we went to that specific spot. I could not believe how many fish were busting top. I wished I had some lures with me, I think topwater would be killer. I might go there again tonight, but do not know, I have to find somewhere to go for the Cripple Creek Tourney tom night. I would not mind that place, but if I am staying all night, I will have more stuff to carry back. I don't know if I could handle that! Also I don't know if my dad will be fishing with me or if I am going it alone. I don't want to be back there alone and have something happen, cuz it does not seem like anyone would be back to help me any time soon! :(

4. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Oh yeah, is that a lake, or is it a backwater area of the river??? I could not tell for sure and my buddy did not know for sure. his cousin calls it backwater. It was too dark to tell!

5. I'll never forget a trip to clendening with a buddy of mine about 15 years ago. We were catfishing. It was one of those really quiet, dark nights(no moon, cloud cover, etc). We had hiked back about 150yards off the road down this narrow path to the water. We caught a few fish that night and things got slow. It was about 1:30 am in the morning when all the sudden my friend Travis and I heard something coming through the brush and little trees behind us! It was BIG, and it was moving the 6-7 foot high brush and trees. It sounded horrifying and we were really scared. I've never seen 2 guys pick up 4 rods, 2 tackle boxes, lantern and chairs and fly up a path to the car so quick! We never did see what it was, but we just knew it wasn't small and we weren't sticking around to find out!! :eek: Now that I think about it, I think that was my last trip to Clendening. I think it was bigfoot or a bear. :confused: LOL

6. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Well there are bears out in that area triton! I have heard them myself. I also had something like that happen to me once. Scared the hell out of me. Too big to be a deer or anything like that. Could have been a cow, but it was not. It was no place near any cows and it walked with authority. The hair was standing up on my arms and legs. Felt like I could not breath! That is why I do not like to fish at night alone now!