Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally had the chance to get out and fish with Mushibushi. Man, what a great time. Kyle's a great guy to fish with. If you find yourself with the chance, I highly recommend it.
We didn't exactly light the river on fire, but we kind of semi-knew that going in to it. Couple of other reasons we wanted to float this particular strecth, one being it was one fo the few to actually have some water in it right now.
Fishing was slow. A couple smallies between the two of us on spinners and maybe one on a white grub, maybe 13" the biggest.
Kyle showed off his multi-species skills with a smallie, a sauger/saugeye, and a carp on three consecutive casts. (Turns out once I finally let him out of the yak and get his feet wet, he turned it on.:D)
But mostly he taught me about saugeye, I talked about smallies, and we picked out deer and duck hunting spots.
And we saw a ton of cool stuff. Actually, ALL the animals across the board were acting odd and just off.
When we were just getting in, I saw a baby gar dart out in the water. Like 3" long. But then we were able to stand right over it and look and it just sat there. Finally I touched it with my paddle and it would just scootch a coupel inches. I'm certain we could have just picked it up if we wanted to.
Then we saw a baby something or other, I guess a muskrat, swimming in the water. I stuck out my paddle and he climbed on for a few minutes. He couldn't have been less scared of us and seemed thankful for the break in swimming.

Then this beagle followed us downstream a while. At one point, it was scaling this eroded bank...had to be like a 70 degree angle...like a friggin' billy goat. And then swam out to the island we were on to see us. And then quite frankly wasn't that excited to see us.;)

Then we stopped for a while so Kyle could show off. I think in one picture he cracked a smile:

Learning how to tell a sauger from a saugeye. To tell the truth, i still don't have a clue. Sounds like field identification can be near impossible.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Of yeah, Kyle caught a spot in there some where also.

To top it off at the end of the float, I heard buffalo carp "sucking"...either for the first time in all the years fishing, or else I never knew what the heck it was. Freaky sound, even freakier fish as they attacked us the last 1/2 mile of the float. At one point I know I had 12-15 of them crashing all around the yak, one slammed the bottom.
All the animals were just running half wired last night.

Had a great time and looking forward to doing it again, Kyle. I know exactly where we're going next time. We just need a couple shots of water.
Get your boy out of the basement from up North and we'll head south.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,188 Posts
Sounds like a great time. I thought Stuckie was supposed to get in on that action. He must have been to busy runnin around on his shiny new moped. :D

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
haha fedors brother....like that lil furry creature, that was kinda neat. we had a swimming squirrel come over and try to climb into our boat once.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
It was a pleasure meeting you, Andy! Thanks for the trip also! Definately looking forward to some smallie infested water here soon. I'll see if the dungeon lord will let the beast out of the darkness for a few days soon. We will also have to ask permission of his woman too...although she is not quite as scary.

·
Banned
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
B.bopper,
You gotta one track mind with the MMA stuff and you missed the obvious, seperated at birth resemblence:

I'm old, you know, and I can't do that whipper snapper fancy pants split screen thingy.

·
Banned
798 Posts
B.bopper,
You gotta one track mind with the MMA stuff and you missed the obvious, seperated at birth resemblence:
MMA and boxing are my life. My only other two hobbies are my gf and fishing...

But I can see how he looks like Tarantino... Can't wait for his next movie. It's looking good.. I personally look like a Jonas brother....:mad:

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
I look like so many odd balls...does that make me one too?

PS for anyone who was wondering, to catch big smallies regularly, you must fish baits of the same ratio. Andy is a champion of this hypothesis. Thanks for the tips!

·
Banned
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I personally look like a Jonas brother....:mad:
If I wasn't on some kind of blurry, vague, super, secret probabtion...I'd have about 10 different jokes about promise rings and puberty.
But alas....

I've been told I look like a Wright brother (you see, an old joke).

Is highjacking your own thread within the rules? Or more existentially, is highjacking your own thread even really highjacking?

·
Banned
798 Posts
Is highjacking your own thread within the rules? Or more existentially, is highjacking your own thread even really highjacking?
I am the hijack nazi around here, I think I'll report this hijacking to misfit, ASAP:D

and I lost my promise ring about 12 years ago.. puberty, still waiting for that one. maybe one day soon.

·
Banned
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quite possibly I will have it removed before you can even report it.:D

This is dumb.
It's about 20 minutes after 4, I got stuff to go do.

·
Kayak Conquistador
546 Posts
PS for anyone who was wondering, to catch big smallies regularly, you must fish baits of the same ratio. Andy is a champion of this hypothesis. Thanks for the tips!
So was it another day of slinging the 3 oz quadruple size 10 willow blade double skirted spinner baits? :D

Sounds like you boys had some fun. Glad the fish were cooperating a bit more than our outing. We should partake in another float before I leave town. I'd like to pay you back for things.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,188 Posts
I do think Andy is convinced that on the right water, he can throw a Double Cowgirl(that's a 10" 2.8 oz bucktail with two 7/0 trebles and a cost of $24.99) and land a 24" smallie that weighs approx 8 lbs. ;)

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
Great report and pics! Love the pic of the baby muskrat. Nice looking flow. Did you ever see the beagle's owner?

·
Banned
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup. A couple of old dudes, very friendly, looked like they lived right there; bs'in' more than they were fishing. Threw us a couple of tips on where and how to get into a few nice smallies.
Cool dog..and a longer story behind it.

·
Banned
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do think Andy is convinced that on the right water, he can throw a Double Cowgirl(that's a 10" 2.8 oz bucktail with two 7/0 trebles and a cost of $24.99) and land a 24" smallie that weighs approx 8 lbs. ;)
I'm just saying...a bruther could modify one up a bit,
Whatta ya think about a long shanked spinnerbait/buzzbait hook instead of those God aweful trebles?

·
Banned
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
(Oops, your post just poofed.)
Anyway...

Yeah, actually Critter's just busting my nads a little. I am indeed intrigued by those Cowgirl style lures, the two inline blades with the overlapping clevis', but they're just too large.
It can't be rocket science to bend a little wire and make your own, slightly smaller version, right? I think you can even get the front ring "pre-twisted" and then simply add your blades, some weight, and then just crimp off the end.
Gotta have roughly the same weight/blade size ratios as a safety pin style spinnerbait, right?
I dunno.

But I do know that Critter lit enough of a fire under my arse that I'll whip a couple up and chuck 'em all day long until I land something...just to prove a point.;)

I prolly have enough junk in the basement to make one right now.
Critter better check himself, or he's due a whoopin from some homemade, dubt taped, crimp shot, yarn skirted hillbilly concoction with a score to settle. LOL!!:D

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Nice trip, love the pic of the little guy on your paddle, my Son and I made it out tonight from about 9.15-11.15, was slow at first only caught a couple with the largest maybe 10", we moved upstream to another spot and got into them pretty good between 10-11, my Son got hot and caught most of them with a couple going around 14", caught them all on jitterbugs, dang knats seemed really thick tonight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts