Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems climate change may actually be true. Instead of four seasons we seemingly have a wet and dry season like South America. I wonder If we will end up with arapaima, piraiba, and red tailed catfish? Oh well I guess the smallies will be nice and rested when the rivers finally do clear up.

Went out in the spaces between the biggest rains a couple times over the long holiday weekend. First with my bestest fishing partner Kally...

We caught baby frogs, saw squirrels, woodpeckers and jays, watched snakes flick their tongues in and out, and found a box turtle by the path to the lake and oh yeah caught some big bluegills while we were at it...

The next day found me out at daybreak in the rain fishing The Pond Whose Name Cannot Be Spoken. The fish were more than willing as they always are here. But they were a bit on the small side running 12 to 14 inches. In the tenebrous gloom of a rain soaked morning they were more than willing also to hit a topwater plug. Fishing a clear zara spook most of the time I must have caught twenty. A couple of the feisty bass walloped the plug two or three times knocking it into the air before getting hooked. I've found, if you can make yourself do it, the best thing to do is just keep working the plug back to you till you actually feel the fish. Too many times if you strike at the sight of the fish smacking the spook all you will do is send the spook flying backwards over your head with no fish attached. I still find myself doing this at least once every time I fish it. Reflexes are a hard thing to overcome some times. It's the same reasoning some guys use when throwing a slow action rod when crankbait fishing, sometimes a slower reaction time means more fish. I fished a spinnerbait and a plastic worm a bit too but they were hitting the zara spook just as well. Frankly the spook is loads more fun so I just stuck with that. No one else ventured out into the weather that morning and the only company I had was a curious doe that watched furtively from across a muddy soybean field. I also found the smallest snapping turtle I've ever seen in a puddle alongside the pond. Later when I showed Kally the picture she didn't seem nearly as impressed as she does with the turtleman's on TV...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
A good read OSG. I had just taken my seat at Charlie's Chow House along M115 I northern Michigan enjoying sub par coffee and breakfast when I stumbled across your post. It's been sunny and perfect up here all week but I have heard tales of pairing animals and a large boat down your way....
Glad to hear you are still pulling the fish up.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glad to hear I am not the only one with Spook reflex issues. Seems to me that I hook up more at night when using a Spook. After sundown I am relying on feel more than sight. If I fish a Spook in the morning I get too excited and hookset prematurely. Having a Spook torpedo towards the face is no fun:)

No pic of mini snapper?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

·
Born Again Fisherman
227 Posts
Glad to hear I am not the only one with Spook reflex issues. Seems to me that I hook up more at night when using a Spook. After sundown I am relying on feel more than sight. If I fish a Spook in the morning I get too excited and hookset prematurely. Having a Spook torpedo towards the face is no fun:)

No pic of mini snapper?

[/QUOTE]

What do you think that was?

Great post OSG as usual, sounds like a great fishing partner to have.

·
Annyong!
1,461 Posts
Nice report OSG. I find myself longing for the weeks long droughts of recent summers.

That little turtle is cracking me up
It looks totally PO'd and embarrassed that he is not taken more seriously.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice post, OSG. Better rain luck than mine on the 4th (see post cor details). I ended up taking a swim...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 9 of 9 Posts