close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fisherman lands live WWII Grenade

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ShakeDown, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Now that is pretty crazy! Could you imaine if the thing had gone off.

2. I had to read it again, it says he gave the grenade to the police, why in the world you carry around a live grenade? I would tell them where the thing was but no way would I carry a live grenade back to my truck and then drive to the police. I guess it doesnt say he drove around with it but I only assume he drove to the police station.

3. I'm with ya on that one.I would have cut my line :)

4. mikie_fin

mikie_fin Ohio & California

Did they indicate where at the Balck River he found it? I used to fish the Black River often.

Mikie

5. Gernades are actually pretty safe. That is untill you pull the pin and let go of it. Just what they tought us in Boot Camp. I probably would of kept it if it was fully intact :D

6. To me throwing them was the worst part of bootcamp.Grenades don't care who they kill ;)

7. Nope, they just gave fragments of the story. :D

8. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

When I was younger my dad found a claymore mine at a garage sale in jackson township for .10. He promptly paid the asking price and delivered it to the local police. He stated where he bought it and why. Being a master sergeant in the reserves he knew the destructive power those things have. I guess some guy had one left over from nam or something and the wife was getting rid of his stuff after he passed away. My dad was afraid some kid would get it and...... Well, you can imagine..

9. I have a hard time with this one. They must have meant that this was a WWII style grenade. I can not believe that it would have been in the river all that time with out rusting out. When I was in the Army (late 80-early 90s) I recovered WWII soldiers that were still in their fox holes from the Battle of the Bulge. These American Soldiers still had their rifles, ammo, gear and grenades. The grenades were always a scare if they did not have holes in them that made the tnt inert. TNT will become very volatile after time. I bet he did a few quick steps back when he realized what it was.

10. Hey Adkins tell me more about recovering the soldiers? You talking about live soldiers from WWII?

11. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I'm guessing he meant soldiers that were never recovered from the Battle of the Bulge during WWII. Or, ones buried in mass graves (why I'm not sure). That's one hell of a detail. I know I'd like to hear more about it too.

12. Yeah they teach you to throw them as if it was a shotput. Kind of scary how close they were going off. But we were throwing thim over a hillside. The same hill they made us do pushups on when it was raining. Boy i dont miss those days one bit.

13. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Probably was in a recently deceased WWII or Korean war vet's attic or basement. Maybe the relatives didn't know what to do with it and simply pitched it in the river.

14. The American Soldiers that I was talking about had died in WWII. I always felt a little strange when I would go out on these assignments. I would fell honored to be part of sending an American home to the ones that loved him the most and had given years of not knowing what had happened. The same time I would always think how sad it was for this person to never have made it home. I still have the letters of the families of the soldiers that we were able to send home. I will not put out those letters but I will tell you about one soldier and his friend that sent me a letter.
    I was sent to Belgium to make a removal of an American Soldier that two artifact hunters had came across. When I arrived I did as I always did and walked around the site. You would think that after all of the years had passed and how dense the population had grown that this area would have been disturbed by now. Instead I could still make out where the line of fox holes was. The one thing that caught my eye was this bright red ribbon tied above the next fox hole in line. No one there knew why it was there. As I cleared years of packed down dirt from around the soldier I discovered he was still setting slumped over his machine gun. A bandolier of rounds still ran through the machine gun. He had a few other bandoleers coiled up at his feet and tons of spent ammo was on the bottom of the fox hole. Grenades were still strapped on his belt with one at his right foot. He was in full clothing from his helmet down to his worn out boots. A few months later there was an article in the Stars and Strips about the Marine Corps recovering this soldier. Par for the coarse with the news. I received a letter from a gentleman that simple said (in my own words): Thanks for taking care of my friend. I was a sniper during WWII and had just steeped out of the fox hole to move back when my friend was shot. My friend was listed as missing in action for years even though I told the commanders at the time I saw him get shot. Last summer I took my wife and returned to Germany for the first time since the war. While my wife shopped and went sight seeing I went out to the ridge where you fount him. I started at the first fox hole and probed with a stick to try and find him. I was at it for a week until it was time for us to travel to southern Germany. I tied a red ribbon above the fox hole I stopped at. I had intended to travel back someday to finish my search for my friend. You have saved me that duty and given us all something that I can not put into words except to say thanks.
    That is one of the few that we were able to bring home after all of these years.

15. WOW, that is a great story. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm sure it brings up a lot of memories for you as well. That has to be a good feeling to know that you are bringing someone home for one last time. Thanks again. If you ever feel like sharing any more I would love to hear about it but if not I understand. Thanks again.

16. I think there are quite a few of us that would be interested in hearing those stories. I lost an uncle the day before WWII was over. The airplane he was piloting was shot down. I can't believe that those sites haven't been gone through. You would think in all those years someone would have taken a metal detector out there and looked for ammo or what ever else they could find. I'm sure if it were here it would have been gone through by now.

By the way Walter how many did you pull out of that fox hole? Did you find multiple people in the fox holes or just singles? Thanks again for the story.

17. i would agree with fishintiger.............would like to hear more......that is just to cool

18. I only found one soldier per trip. The reasons that these soldiers were discovered were due to artifact hunters. I always left the guns and ammo with these guys. They were supposed to notify their country that they were in before they notified us. Not a good idea for anyone except the politicians. One guy spent two years getting back to America because of the politicians on both sides of the big pond wanting to get their name in the paper. I was not supposed to leave anything behind, certainly not something that had a serial number on it. I still believe that it was more important to get them and others home instead of a gun. Now if I did find a grenade that was not rusted out I would bring it back. Funny thing the artifact hunters did not want anything to do with those. Made for a nervous ride back with that thing in the van. I have seen them blow up just from setting on the demo range in the sun. While there for three years we only had four soldiers recovered. Three from the battle of the bulge and one that supposedly died in Chezslavokia during WWII. The reason I say supposedly is because of his death locations and the way he looked. I have no problem relating this story due to the fact that he had no family left. We gat a call from a Chezslavakia officer that said that they found a WWII Soldier buried in a field. My team loaded up and headed down to the border. At the time this happened Chez was still communist and had boarders with Germany. When we arrived at the boarder crossing I was informed that only I would be let to get him. I said ok and got in this van that the windows were painted black and went on a 5 1/2 hour ride. When I got to this location the soldier was in the middle of a freshly plowed field. He was on a tarp and there was some dirt to the right that he was supposed to have been buried in. When I said that I needed to search the ground where he had been I was given a very strong no from the guy in charge of about twenty men. I said ok of course. I then proceeded to pull out my gps to mark my location. I had spent 51/2 hours in a small van to be 3 miles from the border crossing. The commander wanted to know what I had and then he took it. To make this a little shorter once I got this guy back to the mortuary in Frankfurt and did my work this is what I fount. He was not in any uniform but in old clothing and I mean like a pair of worn out modern day clothing not clothing of the WWII area. I later got a report from the Hawaii lab that told me approximate date of death was not any where near WWII. I had already figured that out. I was also told that my "new place of recovery was" southern Germany not in Chez. I did not care and still don't care were he was recovered just glad to get him home. I may not follow all the political rules but I did get them home.

19. Hey adkins I can listen to these storys all day long man, keep em coming. Thanks. I love reading about things like this. There are so many things that go on during war times that we never hear about or have any clue about and its really interesting to me. One question, how did you get on this duty? Is this what you did the whole time in the service? I've never heard or talked to any one who did this before.