Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow we went to vermilion river today around 2. there were hundreds of white suckers spawning in all the riffles!!!!! We seen about 15 steelhead. thats about it. my cousin hooked up once but his line snapped! fish took his spinner like nothing? he says his line has to be bad. we couldn't get one bite on those suckers with a spinner tho. what can you use to catch the sucker fish? we watched a guy use nymphs and catch 3 in like 10 minutes but what kind I do not kno? what kind of nymphs are good around ohio? also what else can you use to catch those suckers with or without a flyrod? can you use just a bobber and a worm or maggots or minnows or something? soon I will have that fly rod also.

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just got my fly rod in the mail!!! awesome! one thing tho...... its gonna rain for weeks. great.... guess I got to wait longer to learn how! so cmon guys noone knows how to catch them suckers out of all 61 people who viewed this post? I am new to fly fishing and not picky. i can practive on them sucker fish and then in month or 2 the bass and bluegills .also what nymphs are good to use in the ohio trib rivers? I see millions of flys and nymph patterns online. I have read bass and bluegills like poppers and basically any insect with rubberlegs so i will grab some of those but whats the best flies and nymphs that work around here? please help me out here so I can combine both orders and save shipping lol.. Plus I am new to fly fishing and need any advice i can get. I ordered a couple fly fishing videos also from the library. I see there are mayfly, caddis, and all that but what ones are in ohio.

·
Off the beaten path
935 Posts
Stick to basics here in Ohio. Steelhead will generally hit on Sucker sapwn, wooly buggers, and small nymohs. Streamers work for tboth bass and steel. You might want to get some poppers for those bass as well. You really don't need to get any dry flies unless you are fishing trout. Hope this helps a bit.

·
Fly Fishing Addict
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thnx man! I have heard about the terrestrials and poppers for bass and pan fish. but what nymph patterns work well in ohio? there are like 100 of um to choose from. whats the best ones for around here.

·
Off the beaten path
935 Posts
Basic nymphs are

Pheasant tails
Hares Ear
Stone flies
Wooly worms

Thats pretty much all you need. You can get fancy and go with others ( i have tons of other patterns) but they are all pretty much off shoots of these. If you go with hoppers try the foam ones they tend to last a bit longer.

FP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts