close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fished Today

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Big Daddy, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Hit Portage Lakes with Tx Transplant. Stayed near shore on ice that held up a snow mobile, so we thought, OK. There was 2 1/2 to 3 inches which was better than at Mogadore. Still, lots of water coming up through the holes, but is wasn't "flowing" or getting deeper. I think it was more a pressure relief than bowing ice...

Anyway, on with the fish report. We caught a bunch, pretty much all dinks. Biggest between either of us was maybe 6 to 7 inchers. Was still fun and really liked watching the Vex light up.

I was hot early, then Gene caught up at the end of the day. All gills, but Gene did see a couple crappie and bass on his camera.

2. Cool bigdaddy,

I wish I could get out but I dont feel to great when I am walking on thin ice.
    Do you think the ice will be any better this weekend? If so I will be out there.

3. This is not related to the Portage Lake trip that Big Daddy had, but I have to report a mishap that relates to the last post about thin Ice. My nine year old son and I were fishing a small lake yesterday that had between 4 and six inches of good Ice on it. We caught many nice slab bluegills and decided to call it a day. On the way off I hit some bad ice and went through. Fortunately I was able to tread water and find some good ice and pull myself out. I am a large man probable 6" 3" and around 260, but the adrenalin made it relatively easy to pull myself out. I used the suggestions made in the video I saw from this site. Needless to say that the 1/4 mile walk back to the van, but at least I made it out. Thanks to whoever posted the link to the video. I do have some questions though. First, any info on ways to identify bad ice prior to fishing? Secondly, anyone have a used auger that they would like to sell as mine is at the bottom of the lake.

Everyone be careful.

Bdrape

4. Im glad you made it out safe, the video was a great eye opener, as for your auger i have a older mora in the garage you can have it you want it. I live in the ellet area, pm me and will work out details be safe out there and always go with no ice is safe ice until thoroughly checked, hope your son wasnt to freaked out also.

5. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Bdrape,

Wow, glad you and your son are both OK.

I am bigger than you and I never trust new ice especially new ice with snow cover. Aviod deep snow areas, the ice will be much thinner! You have to assume that all of the ice is bad until you know for sure that it isn't. Always try to leave a lake the same way the you entered. Check it as you go, everywhere you go. Snow drifts and early ice has taken many an ice fisherman.

I always carry my spud bar with me when walking on any new ice for the first time. I hit the ice ahead of me as I SLOWLY walk. The spud will go threough any unsafe ice alerting you BEFORE you step on it and go through. This works for me and my friends, 30 years of ice fishing and I've never gone through more than just a leg right at the shoreline on late ice.

Kim

6. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Wow! Bdrape, I'm glad too that you and your boy are O.K.

I haven't taken the time to watch that video yet, but I will now. Thanks.

- Jim

7. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

Two things come to mind.
    #1 I am happy you made it out ok.
    #2.I am sure glad that I took the time to post that video,it might have saved your life.

Its a must see for all ice fishermen!!!!!!

8. crooked stripe

crooked stripe fishn and flyn

Lewis, the video is must see for anyone who is outdoors in the winter for any type of sports activity that involves crossing the ice. I have a friend who fell through the ice on a creek while hunting and if he didn't have a cell phone to call for help he would have died. John

9. Thanks for all the concern from you folks about my going for a cold swim. I also appreciate all of the recommendations for checking the ice. I did check the ice as I was going to my fishing spots, however when I was leaving I crossed accross an area that I did not check. I befieve retrospectively that that was my big mistake. So I guess we all live and learn. Greg3891 I pm'd you about the offer for the used auger-thanks.

The ice undoubtedly is getting better each day with this weather and I for one will not let this incident stop me from fishing, but I will be much more careful.

Thanks to all

Bdrape