fished rocky today

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by freyedknot, Mar 23, 2008.

1. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

fished for an hour and a half behind the restaurant. water was still a bit muddy and good flow. seen 2 caught ,sme guy ,large green jig/maggot.

2. Beer:30

Beer:30 ReelAddiction ch.68

looked at the flow this morning, on the rise. what is the best rate to fish it, it is currently at 925. need to know how much lead i need to bring

3. under 400 is what you want for rocky, abut 225 is perfect

4. Beer:30

thanks holland. things like this are what make this site so great!

5. The highest flow where I caught fish this year was 535 while dropping. I don't care for it much higher, but look for edges (near shore) and obstructions when fishing the higher water - especially when rising. Some areas seem to fish better under higher water, while other normally productive areas are avoided when the flow is high. The fords are always a good place to start (obstructions) during high water conditions.

As previously stated, 225 is a perfect flow. I used a rock within view of the parkway to determine the optimum level before the gage, and I equated my 'perfect' level based on the rock to the website once the gage was installed. It always seems to be between 200 and 225.

Another thing to remember is that the gage is in the main stem of the river. There are times where the east or west branch will be in better condition than the main stem, so you can't completely trust the gage.

6. Beer:30

Thanks Steel! Went East yesterday & went 4 for 4, largest 27.5". Long COLD day. Thanks for the education on the Rock.