Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Robs Guide Service
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to brake out the steelhead gear one more time so i went down to rocky this morning. Started out with suckerspawn and no hits so i changed over to a mickie finn #10 and drifted it with a bb shot on the bottom and went 9 for 11 with only one foul hook. Alot of fly guys down there. all fish i seen caught were in very fast water!! Water is way down and very clear. here a couple of photo's.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Nice fish Bob!!! Only thing missing was a smile!!! LOL!!!:D :D

·
Registered
456 Posts
Wow SteelheadBob I saw you on the ford this morning, I was the fly fishing dude just below you. Nice fish, did you get that after I left the spot.

I was getting frustrated with the fish swimming around, I had landed two one being a hawg just over 30" and missed a few others. I was down there for a few hours and getting ready to leave had to get to work, when I decided to try my hot glue ant I tied for trout and within a few casts I hooked into the hawg which I walked me down the stream alittle.

Maybe I'll see you again this week.

·
Registered
456 Posts
man i want to get a steelie so bad....how long do the fights last on fish of those size...those r some whoppers
The last fight I had at the ford was a couple of weeks ago when we had the cold spell, just me and another guy at the same spot. Hooked into a mother, fight lasted 20 minutes plus, I had a 7wt fly rod and could not land it everytime I worked the fish into the shallows it would take another run into the deep section of the area. Finally it shook the hook in the shallows and I swore up and down, but the fight was memorable. So I switched over to an 8wt rod with alittle of backbone and finally landed one.

What are you waiting for, once the river warms up the fish will clear out and you'll have to fish for them in lake erie.

·
Robs Guide Service
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you were fishing by the over hang limb right???? I got all the fish 5 feet above the tree with the deep run that goes under the bank, i got one above the ford!.... The funny thing is is a couple of guys were laughing at me for using a spinning rod like a fly rod, i guess the laugh was on them because they didnt hook crap HAHA:p
As for the fighting, just depends if there tired out from spawning or if there fresh, and if you can get them out of the currant. It can take 2 min or 20 min, my longest was about 45 min, got a big female down at the grand!!!!!
Hey big daddy, the reason i wasnt smileing is because i new i had to go to work!:mad:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
think I'll make tomorrow my first trip to the Rocky in search of trout. never fished it before, looks like great fly water.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,945 Posts
i knew you couldn't give it up for the year:p good job. carl's right, where's the smile? you caught more steel in one day than i did all last year out of the rivers:(

·
Super Moderator
3,921 Posts
Great day Bob,
Makes me want to start getting sick here at work and head north!%

·
Registered
456 Posts
the reason i wasnt smileing is because i new i had to go to work!:mad:
Same here I had to get to work.

Yes that was me by the tree, nice catch if you hooked into those above the tree. I was lucky to get that big one :B before a spinner dude got it. :D

Maybe I'll see ya Friday. Going to hit the Rocky in the morning before I head up to PA to do some other trout fishing.

·
Pay-it-foward fisherman
5,251 Posts
Went back today!
Pretty much same results as yesterday except a lot more made it to the bank.
Went 8 for 10.
Mostly all large hens.
I didnt manage to catch the same one twice (Had a deformed Jaw)
Biggest fish went about 30".
I took fish on Stone flys, Buggers, Jigs, and Sucker Spawn.
I bet I could have thrown a blank hook and they would have taken it.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
I only mamged to catch a grand total of 2 steelies this entire season. I problably did around 70+ hours of fishing for them. Nice job on the steel BOB

·
Registered
223 Posts
i cant fish for steelies yet cuz im finishing up school. plus i dont really have the proper gear. i got a good job lined up tho after i graduate so once i start making money im gonna splurge and go crazy on fishing and hunting gear. being a poor college kid definitely sucked. plus, during the school year, it was hard to get out to fish. but after may i wont be doing anything else other than work, fish, hunt...lol...at least thats the plan. i heard those steelies r hell to bring in....i've tried for them a few times (4) but no luck.

·
FISHAHOLIC
1,233 Posts
You kill the steelies like nobody else bro. Everytime I see a post by you I expect to see double digit fish landed and that is amazing. I made about 7 steelies trips over the last 6 months and most I got was 3 in one trip. It is impressive man NICE WORK on the steelies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts