Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Robs Guide Service
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hed a job interview yesterday morning so i went to portage for a couple of hours before work, went to the same place i went last weekend and managed to get a half basket full.. I only got 4 dozen minnows and went through them in a hour so i threw on the good old chatter bait and was jigging it and man do the crappie love that thing. was vert. jigging in 4' of water and they were taking it on the down fall. Most of the fish were in the shallows and in the brush. Water color was good and temp was 62*

·
Registered
508 Posts
Way to go SteelheadBob! I fished Portage lakes yesterday afternoon with my Dad. I am 37 years old..he is 70 and his health is not the greatest and he lives about 2 hours from here. He drove up and we went out and caught 20 Crappies in about 3 hours! We came home, filleted them and fried up 8 of them! Delicious! Had a blast and a memorable afternoon. The day before I went to Portage Lakes and caught 31 Crappies. Like you said, they are in the shallows in the brush. Now is the time for the crappies everyone!

Sluggo

·
Robs Guide Service
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey sluggo, where you fishing in a little john boat and your dad was in the front and wearing a long sleave shirt??? and fishing under a big tree. If so i kinda flew past you with a little wake, sorry about that, had to get to work??

·
Robs Guide Service
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey EZbite, get the pan fish, not the trout kind, its to big! and i found that the blue/clear color works best. You can thank big daddy. he got me hooked on them at his crappie show! Ive only found them at gander mountain so far!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congrats guys. You had better luck (and probably skill) than my buddy and I. We tried the sticks in the shallows with no luck using both minnows and twisters. Tried both Miller and East Resevoir and near the State boat ramp. We picked up a mixed bag in East R. that included 1 perch, a small bass, bluegills and crappie. We probably could have got a hundred small gills if we wanted. They were almost a nuisance. We caught most everything in 9-10' of water about 7' down. I'll have to try a chatter bait. I don't even know what they look like. It was sure windy out there, about 15mph.:eek:

·
Robs Guide Service
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was fishing the east resv. on top of a brush pile and the tip of a dead fall in the back of someones house 4 feet from shore... There really wasnt any way to get there from the road unless you had the owners perm.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Great job there bob. I am getting very jelous:D of everyone right now. My towing car is dead:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts