close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fishable or not???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by peon, May 30, 2005.

1. peon

peon account delete

im thinking about buying one of those green hard plastic boats that you can throw in a truck... and use a trolling motor... im a bass fisherman and want to hit local lakes.... i dont have alot of money to spend and think i can buy one used and cheap... what are your thoughts on these boats??? if you dont know what im talking about.. this link has something like im looking for .. just used.. http://basspro.com/servlet/catalog....arClassCode=4&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse

2. I’ve fished from them before, and they are very nice small boats.

However, I hear that all the COOL guys fish from a kayak!

3. If you like to fish with someone or have a lot of tackle get at least a 10 ft one. Never lay your rods on the side of the boat. Always put them on the floor. Carry 2 batteries. This is all from experience. Had an 8 ft. Too small for 2 people comfortably. Lost a rod and never new it until I wanted to use it. They are hard to row/paddle. Don't see many used ones.

4. peon

peon account delete

i just dont see myself paying 500 bucks for one of them boats then buying a motor... i could buy a john boat for that kind of money... i havent found any used ones either .. i wonder why its hard to find a used one????

5. Yak or Canoe...Safer..Just my .02

6. Got one thats 8ft. It's great on ponds and small lakes for electric only but a little shaky on bigger lakes. They are very light. Easy to load by yourself. Get some padded seats if you do get one. The plastic seats get a little uncomfortable after sitting in them all day. I bought a cheap trolling motor which works great but probably should have got one with a little more giddyup. They don't have a lot of room with two people but by yourself they work great. Takes time getting used to the feeling that your going to tip it over but its never happened and we've had some nervous moments. I found mine for 200 bucks on a backroad in eastern Ohio. Two old gentleman were selling it and I couldn't pass it up. Thought about selling it when I moved to columbus but my girlfriend told me not to and my parents let me keep it at their house. They're good for someone like yourself and I who don't have a lot of money to spend. But they are hard to find used. [​IMG]

7. I fished from one a long time ago. I remember that it felt unstable.

This is comming from a guy that fishes from a canoe.

8. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

Most dangerous boat to fish out of in a river...On a pond it would work!

Winner

9. dnm

dnm

Im looking for a small boat as well, what is a john boat?

10. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I would love to have one of those boats, why are they more unstable than a canoe?

11. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

DNM
    A Jon Boat is a flat bottom row boat basically. You can row it, or put a small gas or trolling motor on it. they are nice for shallow areas. They are stable and are nice for creeks and small ponds/lakes. You can find used ones for under $200. They make a great lightweight boat. They come in sizes from 8ft on up to 15ft. Maybe bigger.

12. dnm

dnm

Ive got a chevy colorado, that would tow it right? I want to get a boat but live in an apartment so I would hafta rent a garage and store it in there. Is it worth it?

13. dnm

dnm

How big of a motor could you put on a john boat? can you go anywhere as long as the motor handles the current? I am noobie to boating

thanks

14. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

here is a pic of mine.

[​IMG]

I love it. Got it rigged nice with a depth finder, trolling motor with a foot switch so you dont half to constanly use your hand to turn the trolling motor on and off.

Very safe on ponds and lakes. river I dont know about never took it on a river. Have never came close to tiping or sinking either. I fish a small tournament with another fellow and togather we both weigh about 440 pounds pluse 2 50# batteries a cooler for a live well and all of our gear. Yea it is cramped but cant sink it even if I wanted to.

My wife bought it for me at bass pro shops for my birthday. I loves it and yes it does take a little getting used. shoot me a pm with anyquestions or if you want some help rigging one out.

15. Perch

Perch Perch Addict

Because your weight is so far out of the water Jack. Top Heavy kindof.

16. I have a BassHunter 8' Green boat. I really like it alot! As you can see with me and my 2 small kids there isn't alot of clearance. I've fished in mine with 2 adults , 2 batteries, trolling motor but there isn't alot of clearance between you and the water. I like them for pond fishing but not sure I'd take it on a big lake. I would use it on smaller lakes and ponds only. I think its a pretty stable platform myself as long as you don't plan on having 2 people standing up and flipping. I am able to stand up myself and fish like I normally would in calm water. Just my .02

[​IMG]

17. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Scour the auction papers, I've seen them sell at some household auctions sometimes.
    Also check with Ebay...

18. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

My buddy has a used for sale, if you are interested let me know. Its a 10 foot i think, worked nice he just got a bigger boat, let me know and I will see what I can do, maybe I will even sell mine. I never use it its an 8ft one only used a few times.

19. peon

peon account delete

im game for one of em... what ever one is cheaper!! :D :D :D