Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Then the sky fell ...
Went out today with streamstalker for a quick pre work float. The first mile was amazing ! Fish were in the right spots (mid river in current behind rocks,deep in rootballs and tight to wood in current). All the fish were 13-15inches and fighting hard with some.crazy jumpers too. It was already sprinkling this whole time but the fish didn't care... We had 8-10 fish each in that first stretch...

Then the flash flood rolled in and turned the perfect water to pure chocolate milk... Boo

Caught a glimpse of what fishing is like at normal flow, back to the blow outs..

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
Dang! That wasn't much more than a mile, and they were getting hotter by the minute. Then the river turned into Yoo-hoo. I would have rather had a SOT today when my SIK started filling up with water.

So the river fish officially went into normal summer pattern for the first time on the morning of 7/22, and now we are back to blown-out, muddy flows. It looks like we might be slipping back into that rain pattern again. :(

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Yea we played with the 15 inchers here all weekend too. It was nice to fish some normal water for once. Did you happen to have a mayfly hatch? On our way back saturday and sunday evening it looked like we were in a blizzard. There must have been a million of white bugs.....what im calling mayflies.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
47 Posts
Just bought a yak this weekend and took it out to prairie oaks on sunday for its maiden voyage to get the feel of it. Looking back now I regret not jumping on the river while it was fishable! :( Luckily the weather doesn't look like there is a whole lot of rain in the next week(Knock on wood) so hopefully they aren't blown out too long.

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
That's great to hear!

Creek by the house is massive,a good five feet high. I lose my coosa today to my buddy daggerdave, he's taking it on vacation. Maybe by mid week might be able to get float in. Last couple floats had me seriously doubting my main bait, we just couldn't find the fish or any solid pattern, fish just were not where they should be, I'm hoping your right, actually praying, lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
deleted
3,892 Posts
ps did you see what it topped out at today?!
That was a lot of rain.

Larry was in a Coosa, and I was paddling the Kilroy. We were starting to catch fish pretty much everywhere we cast and even had a double right about when things really opened up. We had a few nervous jokes and laughs when the lightning got closer, but I pretty much had to pack it in because the rain was going to fill my Kilroy. We stood on the bank a long while when Larry decided to cast behind a new limb in the river. When he pulled out two smallies in as many casts, I cast just a few feet away at a weed bed and got another. That's just about the time it became inevitable that it was going to muddy-up really fast.

In retrospect, Larry should just have kept paddling around in that pool for two reasons:

A. His Coosa is self-draining.
B. He brought absolutely no rain gear and was soaked anyway.

We got back in during a slow period in the rain, and then it just opened up again. I tried to bail as I went by covering the front of the yak with my poncho and then sponging it out as it collected in there--about a carwash sponge every half minute. I had to stop once more to bail it out because it became more difficult to control. The slosh almost tipped me at one point. It was one time a bilge pump would have been handy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts