close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fish stock from walleye

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bobinstow90, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Looking to learn how to make a fish stock from walleye utilizing some of the parts we always throw away after fileting the fish. Good fish stock, strained and frozen, should make great soup, seafood pasta ect.

Can anyone tell me EXACTLY how to do this?

Been making a walleye pasta, similar to white clam sauce, but using walleye meat. Still working on the recipe....but it has good potential.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

2. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I wouldn't use any of the skin. I would only use the 'spine' or the back bone (you know, the part left over with a little meat on it).

Fill a decent sized chili pot or thick stock pot about 1/2- 3/4 of the way full with filtered water. Straight tap water has chlorine, flouride, and other undesirables in it that you don't want in your stock. Of course, filtering it won't remove evrything 100%, but it will give you a better end result. Add a little salt and pepper, a bit of Old Bay, and some dried dill. Add the seasonings sparingly. You don't want them to dominate the flavor (you want to taste the fish). Bring the water temp up to where it just starts to boil, then back the heat down so it's just on the verge of boiling, but doesn't roll (steeping). Add the fish parts, and cover the pot. Keep the fish parts in there for forty minutes to an hour, then 'fish' them out. You then turn the heat back up a tad to a gentle boil and remove the lid. Reduce the stock by a third. The longer you leave it on the heat, the more it will reduce.

When you got it where you want it, remove it from the heat and let it cool down. Run the liquid through a strainer to get any leftover fish parts and such out of the stock. Don't worry about the seasonings being strained out, they've done their duty. You can pour the stock into a labeled, gallon sized ziplock bag and lay it flat in the freezer, and you'll have great fish stock the next time you need it.

3. That is pretty right on for putting together a solid fish stock/ fume't. I have a tendency to squeeze one fresh lemon in the mixtures intial batch. When trying to figure out how much water fish good to use try to put it all into a pot and make sure the liquid is about 1 inch about all solids. By all solids I also believe in utilizing some vegetables, i.e. a whole carrot, onion, celery (murapuah). Also a bay leaf or 2 comes in hand to give the stock body. I amalso relatively hesitant on seasoning stock but since you using only fresh water fish and not salt water a little salt and pepper cant hurt. I usually bring the intial mixture to a boil the down to med-low heat to simmer for say 60-90 min. Then I strain. The reason I strain everything at first before reducing is because the veggies and protein have a tendency to cloud the mixture which makes it unappealing in sight- doesn't really affect the taste.

Then take this mixture and think thirds, by this I mean reduce this amount by one third and taste. If still too weak reduce more to taste. You also may want to season a little, again to taste as in seasoning you can always add and not take away.
    This nice thing about fumets is everytime you clean fish just cut off the skin toss the spine and anything with meat on it in a bag in the freezer. Whenever you have a few bags of scraps its time to try it.

Good luck

BTW- All this comes from a chef at numerous resteraunts in and around Cleveland, Mosaica/Moxie/Red/ John Palmers

4. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

"I also believe in utilizing some vegetables, i.e. a whole carrot, onion, celery (murapuah)."

Good point. I somehow forgot to add the veggies. Also, if you have any shrimp or lobster shells laying around, throw them in there.

5. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

thats a kool idea you have! hope it tastes gooooooood :)