close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fish Scales

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by OSU_Fisherman, Jul 4, 2007.

1. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

Since I just started fishing seriously last summer, I do not have a scale and never really cared up until this point. Now that I'm consistently catching fish that deserve being weighed, I'm in the market.

Should I get one of the kind that grips the lip? or just one with the little hook on the bottom. I'm almost primarily Bass at the moment, but occasionally I'll fish for Catfish and Crappie. Eventually, the Boga Grips will be in my price range, but I dont see that happening this summer as I'm paying off a 40" LCD HDTV.

My question for the one with the hooks is where to hook the fish? Do you make a hole in the lip? Or hook into the area under the midde of the bottom lip where the gills kind of come together? I feel a little stupid asking this, but I just dont want to hurt any fish if I decide to get that kind. Also, I might be able to educate a couple buddies of mine.

2. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

I would go with the Lip grip ones. They are better for the fish cause you dont need to poke anotehr hole in the fishes mouth or risk hurting the gills. I would sugest the XTools Scale. It is very accuret, easy to use, and best of all it floats if you drop it in the water. It is a very nice scale for the money.

3. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

Can you, or anybody else, attest to the quality of the Xtools lip gripper? It sounds great on paper, but something about the coloring makes them look cheap in pictures. I guess if I order it, it can always be returned.

4. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

I have a new in the box Rapala pro guide lock and weigh. Weighs up to 20lbs. $40. plus shipping. Thats less than 1/2 price.

5. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

The Quality is good. Yes the color of them is kinda cheesy but it is a good scale and for the money is the best you can buy. (in my opinion)