close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

fish replica's

Discussion in 'Ohio Bait, Tackle, Taxidermy, etc. Marketplace' started by Pikemandu, Jul 1, 2005.

1. I was wondering about getting fish replica's made. I would like to get some fish "mounted", but I would prefer to release the fish(I dont killing a fish unless it is to be eating, and I rarely eat fish). If anyone could let me know how to go about getting replica's and any good places for that. I fish in sw oho(butler, hamilton, warren, clermont area) and lake erie in ottowa county.

2. Just like any taxidermy, you really have to do your homework to find quality work. The vast majority of work out there is, sadly, poor or mediocre, quality. Despite what I've heard mentioned before, as a general rule skin mounts are of better quality than replicas. They don't have to be, but most taxidermists buy lesser quality blanks to reduce costs. As with anything, you get what you pay for, at least you should. As a taxidermist, I've seen some beautiful replicas at shows and magazines, but most of the better ones I've seen are for competition. Still, you can get very good commercial work. Start calling around and setting up appointments with a bunch of taxidermists. Do NOT go by word of mouth and never, EVER, go by price. Make sure you see good examples of everyone’s work. Then, make your decision based on what you feel is most lifelike. The only thing that should be mentioned about price is, if it seems cheap, it is. Somebody who's doing work for $6/inch is cutting corners somehow. Honestly, if they aren't very close to $10/inch I have to wonder why. Most of the better ones these days are over that, some well over. With a little legwork you'll have a trophy you'll be proud to hang on the wall for the rest of your life, instead of hanging it in the garage where no one can see it.