Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paddled from 11:00-2:30 and found this FO sauger (20") hanging out below a riffle. Decent smallmouth afterward just down stream. Orange and white crank bait.

I might be opening the door to some criticism, but im curious what is the general consensus on keeping sauger. I've kept 3 nice ones this year and i toss back the small ones. I never keep smallies and would certainly never keep a flathead.

Attachments

·
Just practicing my cast
4,714 Posts
Nice job on that sauger, now as far as eating him go for it it's not like your eating all that you get! But thats just me and my op as far as the rest.Ill going to the store to get some beer and see if this turns in to a pay per view posting :D:D PS i hope not it gets old

·
Jay
2,245 Posts
Ill open the can of worms:D I'd eat the smallie too. Tastes like crawfish.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't see a problem in keeping any legal fish to eat. Flathead, sauger, smallmouth, trout, or whatever. If you are going to enjoy it and harvest in a senisible manner, go for it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I almost never keep any fish unless from Erie, but a smart harvest and eating what you keep...why not. Especially served with a cold beer:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Great fish. 20" is a dandy and probably doesn't have much time left anyway. Eat it, no problem. People fish the Ohio river down here 5-7 times a week and keep every limit of 10 they get. So enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
eat them! last year i lost a deep freezers worth of saugeye from the previous year, and that seemed like a huge waste i didnt want to happen again, since then i've only kept a few bags of each species... that being said.. i eat saugeye, crappie, gills, perch, a few largemouth on a regular basis, so keep what you want, stay within the limits and enjoy what YOU want to eat

·
Jay
2,245 Posts
I will elaborate a little I do eat some of every species that I target. I don't keep freezer full just enough that I have a months worth for slow months.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I will elaborate a little I do eat some of every species that I target. I don't keep freezer full just enough that I have a months worth for slow months.

+1...eat 'em up! Eater size fish are exactly that...eater size. Enjoy! I personally don't freeze anything I keep, only keeping what I eat that day or within a few days but I'm all for eating what you catch. Too many people are disconnected with their food sources these days. I find that most people that preach catch and release buy their beef, or whatever meat they eat, from a store and I find that more ridiculous than keeping a few fish to eat. I don't personally keep LM or SM bass but would never judge anyone who does. I personally don't eat meat unless I know exactly where it came from, beef, chicken or whatever. Enjoy my friend, I'm jealous of the dinner that sauger provided. Im sure it was/will be delicious. Nothing beats food you've provided for yourself. Good eats for sure.

·
Registered
545 Posts
+1...eat 'em up! Eater size fish are exactly that...eater size. Enjoy! I personally don't freeze anything I keep, only keeping what I eat that day or within a few days but I'm all for eating what you catch. Too many people are disconnected with their food sources these days. I find that most people that preach catch and release buy their beef, or whatever meat they eat, from a store and I find that more ridiculous than keeping a few fish to eat. I don't personally keep LM or SM bass but would never judge anyone who does. I personally don't eat meat unless I know exactly where it came from, beef, chicken or whatever. Enjoy my friend, I'm jealous of the dinner that sauger provided. Im sure it was/will be delicious. Nothing beats food you've provided for yourself. Good eats for sure.
This post nails it. No matter what you eat, somebody has blood on their hands. People's opinions will vary on what "keeper size" of each species is for each body of water, but as long as it's legal you will get no ill feelings from me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nice job! It's the people at Delaware dam that keep every fish they catch that makes me mad. I've seen them even keep yellow belly cats and channel cats that were literally 3-4" long??? Way to go again and I hope it tastes delicious!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ill open the can of worms:D I'd eat the smallie too. Tastes like crawfish.

I'll second this.....Baked Bronzback is the bomb

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
I keep sauger sometimes and saugeye a lot. Sauger aren't stocked and naturally reproduce (more fragile system). Saugeye are stocked all over Central Ohio, so we don't have to worry about a shortage of them unless dnr quits stocking them. I think sauger are some of the best tasting fish though, I prefer it over walleye. Maybe it's because their fillets are smaller. They almost have a sweet flavor though...mmm mmM! Caught two tonight, kinda regret not keeping!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I keep sauger sometimes and saugeye a lot. Sauger aren't stocked and naturally reproduce (more fragile system). Saugeye are stocked all over Central Ohio, so we don't have to worry about a shortage of them unless dnr quits stocking them. I think sauger are some of the best tasting fish though, I prefer it over walleye. Maybe it's because their fillets are smaller. They almost have a sweet flavor though...mmm mmM! Caught two tonight, kinda regret not keeping!
You should try flathead sometime.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts