close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fish Ohio predictions?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rooster, Mar 23, 2005.

1. I know that there are a few members that like to keep track of Fish Ohio catches. Just thought that it would be a good time to hear Fish Ohio predictions for this year (I will bring this post back up next year). I caught 5 last year, and plan to catch 10 this year.

Last year:

Largemouth Bass
    Hybrid Stripped Bass
    Flathead Catfish
    Channel Catfish
    Freshwater Drum

New this year:

Carp
    Sunfish
    Rock bass
    Saugeye
    Smallmouth (Even if I have to go to Erie!)

So……what are you going for this year?

2. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

I caught last year a wide variety of fish.

Smallmouth
    Largemouth
    Channel Catfish
    Sunfish
    Blue Catfish
    Flathead Catfish
    Perch
    Saugeye
    Crappie
    Rockbass
    Carp

This year i plan on adding
    Walleye
    white bass
    Musky

3. Is there a Fish Ohio Award for Blue Catfish? What is the min. size?

4. I think I can get these pretty easy
    crappie
    white bass
    bluegill

I want to also get
    saugeye
    large mouth
    small mouth

5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I have never entered one, so I plan to try for at least one this year. I do more cattin than anything, but I also fish for many others. Oh boy, I just thought of the bass I caught the other day......now I need to look up the qualifications and all that so I can keep them with me.......Shoot

Anyway, ones I may encounter:
    Largemouth
    Smallmouth
    Carp
    Crappie
    bluegill/rockbass
    channel and Flatheads Cats

6. Last year:
    crappie
    carp
    bluegill
    saugeye

this year: i already have 2 pike
    saugeye
    carp
    catfish
    crappie
    whitebass

7. I have never entered a fish for the Fish Ohio before and really had never paid attention to it before. I may get interested enough to do it this year. For those interested in seeing the details go to this link for the Fish Ohio.

Last year I did not fish for too many species but think I would have qualified for these 5: channel catfish, crappie, sunfish, walleye, saugeye.

This year I would set my realistic goal at these: the same five, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, and rock bass. I recognize that I will most likely not get all of these. If I did it would be one of the best years of fishing for me ever. But the ones that I listed are ones that I have caught at least a few over the years that would qualify.

8. I predict I'll get at least 12 Fish Ohio smallies on my first trip to Lake Erie this year. I don't turn in fish Ohios' though, just throw em back and keep on movin. My wife caught this pig on her second cast last year and the rest of the day went just as well.

Attached Files:

9. Got me a largemouth and carp last year. I didn't get out much and when i was fishing it was almost exclusively bass so i really limited myself. I would've added a smallie and a sheephead but they were caught in michigan's erie. This year i know i'll get another largemouth, this pond is amazing and a for sure, crappie, carp, and bluegill. I'll head to la su ann to make the bluegill a for sure. There is always a good chance for a white bass or walleye in the maumee during the runs too.

10. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

I got FO sized walleye, bluegill, and crappie last year but I only turned in the walleye.

This year I think I'll make an effort for the MA.
    Walleye, bluegill, crappie, one or both of the catfish, sheephead

11. I have not sent any in for a very long time...
    I loved goign for master angler and going to the dinner in Columbus that was for master anglers and guest only... I stopped when they stopped the dinners but now I wish I would have kept going simply for the pins so with that said here is my list...

should get
    CARP . . . . . . . . . . . . . .26IN.
    CHANNEL CATFISH . . . . . 26IN.
    WALLEYE . . . . . . . . . 28IN.
    LARGEMOUTH BASS . . . . . 21IN.
    YELLOW PERCH . . . . . . .13IN.

will try for
    SMALLMOUTH BASS . . . . . 20IN.
    MUSKIE . . . . . . . . . .36IN.
    ROCK BASS . . . . . . . . 10IN.
    CRAPPIE . . . . . . . . .13IN.
    FRESHWATER DRUM . . . . . 22IN.
    NORTHERN PIKE . . .. . . .32IN.

12. Next year it will be interesting to pull this back up.
    I thought that a person had to take a picture, get measurements and have someone witness the catch. Shows what I knew.
    After looking at the list I had 5 different species.
    I feel confident that I can get
    largemouth, smallmouth, rockbass, sunfish.
    I feel that I can get channel and flathead catfish, carp, and a crappie
    good luck to all

13. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

There is no fish Ohio award for Blue catfish in Ohio's waters, as they are an endangered species.

14. There is not one for spotted bass either. They are not endangered. Wonder why they are not on there?

15. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Rooster, Jacks right...Ohio does not have Blues listed and until they remove them from the "protected" list there wont be one.

I used to kep track of this stuff years ago for fun, but got bored with it..some species on the list are too easy..flathead, channel cat, carp, hybrid striper, ect. the hardest for me was always the smallmouth bass 20" listing...i guess if i fished Erie it would be like the rest..too easy.
    I have only fished local streams and have so far to date 8 fish ohio smallies to my belt with a 21.75" as my longest. Not bad for a stream wader..lol.

Mater angler awards, again not too hard, i think the last year that i kept track i had around 6-7 master anglers....but i NEVER turn this stuff in as i would have to lie about the waters where they were caught...lol...cause i aint tellin where out in the open and draw unwanted attention....hehe!

Heres 4 of my smallies..to give ya a "peek"

Scott

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=42

16. RiverRat...lmao.... :D I see your back to your flatheadmaniac ways...6-7 master anglers...if its so easy why do you put your pb info in your sig... my guess is your a little short in other areas... ;)

17. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Oh ole Master Angler.....long time no see(its been nice and quiet)....didnt we have these talks long ago buddy? Didnt ya give up back then??....you dont think ive gotten soft over the years, if so...i'd be glad to discuss this again over PM's anytime...LOL...!!

Ya going to bring up your Fish Ohio panfish group again....heheheheheh!!!! Just because Master Angler awards are hard for some doesnt mean they are for everyone...some guys get one and self title themselfs as "MasterAnglers"...lol

Scott

As far as Short, yup still only 5'6"...but i still catch loads of big fish...and many species at that too!!

18. ok...as long as you don't reintroduce the levels ;) - actually I fish for the In-Fisherman standards - generally much higher than FO standards. btw. how many 12"+ bluegills or 14"+ redears have you caught in Oh?

19. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Big Gills....many...i know of a lake that produces Regular gills to 12-13" and green ears to state record size....i personally dont care...the bigger the better= better flathead catfish bait!!

In-Fish ..yup like thier quailifing lengths and weights much better...i use them for the bigger species i fish for.

"Levels"..ahhh...now your going WAY back, one day i'll bring them to the OGF when things get to boring!!

Good luck on the hunt for the state record Gill...hope ya catch it!!

Scott

20. ..Its boring now bro...