close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fish Ohio Pins

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WalleyeGuy, Jul 9, 2005.

1. You guys get your fish ohio pins for 2005 yet?
    I got mine today and it sure does look like a Sheephead (Drum) on the front of it.

2. Fish Tale

Fish Tale Sea Food Eater

Recieved mine the other day also; and yes in fact it is a Sheephead,roll the pin over and look at the backside and the name is embossed there.
    They need recognition also :rolleyes:

3. i didn t know you could send them in so soon! i always send in mine by dec. thanks

4. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I got a pin in the other day from the bass I turned in......yes a stupid drum..... :(

5. this year is the 1st time i've actually put in for a fish ohio award. i caught a fish ohio pike and my certificate and pin have a SHEEPHEAD on them. is this normal? i thought i was getting robbed. do they normally do this? is gov. shaft involved in this too?

6. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Different fish every year, and the same pin with the same fish for all species.

7. Last year, was the first time that I applied for the award. I thought that I would get a Largemouth, Hybrid, flathead, of channel cat (fish that I submitted). I was very disappointed when I realized that everyone got a walleye. However, I’m excited about getting a drum this year…..At least drum put up a good fight!

8. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Very True! I never looked at it that way :D

9. I got mine for my largemouth just last week. I do have to admit that I was a little disappointed that the fish species on the pin is not the same as what I caught. The recoginition by the state is still nice but I think the same species on every pin is a dumb idea. The pin should be the same species that you caught. It's probably easier to mass produce the same ones. I would suggest waiting till the end of the year to see the number of each Fish Ohio species and send out the pins with the appropriate fish. But, this is just my 2 cents worth.

10. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

My aunt works at a school that is for mentally retarded kids. They are the ones that acually pack the pins and ship them out for the whole state. This costs less and is simpler for everyone. I think that one pin for the year is good enough. The idea is to get one for every year since they change yearly.Then you can have "the" fish ohio pin for that year.

11. A fish is a fish so if it bites on your bait enjoy the fight and toss it back if you don't want it.
    What is that old saying? "Even fat and ugly girls need some loving so lets think the same about fish.
    Now what?
    Your turn.
    :p

12. rockbass

rockbass Banned

The thing with having a pin for each species, they would not be able to put the year on it....etc.......so it is more cost effective to just simply take a fish each year and go with it..........It works for me....

that is my take on it anyway

My first time doing this, so at first I was a little confused...but I get it now

13. For a first timer, you done good! I also noticed that as a trader you do well too.
    Bill
    ;)

14. I have been collecting the FO pins for years and never found it necessary to complain about what fish was depicted. IT IS FREE!!! :) So why find fault? :confused: Would you be willing to pay for it? I seriously doubt it. Bet some jeweler would be willing to make one for you with the fish of your choice but it would be $'s.
    If you manage to qualify for a Master Angler pin you are going to be twice as disappointed as it will have the same fish as the standard pin. :(
    If you don't like the pin, send it to Husky as he is a collector of FO Pins and he could use them as trading material.

15. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Jeese shortdrift you seemed a little grumpy there......we just were kind of disappointed in that is was not what we expected.....no big deal though.....

and yeah I bought a big diamond encrusted bass......you know like the rapper do with things......it cost about 40 grand.... :D Yeah right....If I had that cash, I would buy you guys all a pin of whatever fish you wanted on it! :p

16. Thanks for the info. If I get a fish Ohio this year, I will just keep the fish in my freezer until next year and then take a picture and turn it in. Maybe that way I will at least get a better fish pin. Like one that I would actually eat. lol

17. yes, if the state wants to charge me a couple bucks to send me a matching pin, i would pay it. one day when i am old, gray, and easily confused...ahem...i dont want to find that pin and reminisce of that sheephead i caught (pike:B ) in 2005.

18. Hey Rod%Reel, you don't need a picture of the fish for the Fish Ohio award. Just fill in the application and send it in.
    I wasn't complaining, I'll take the free recognition. Just wishing that it was a little different.

19. How do they know you aint just lieing about the fish you caught. After hearing this it doesn't make it seem all that important to get one knowing that anybody can just lie to get one. I mean how can I show it off to friends when I now know they could be thinking I lied to get it (even though I wouldn't do that). Kinda makes it seem like a useless pin and cert. if you ask me.

20. That's a valid point. The whole idea rests on fisherman telling the truth, which is what some would call an oxymoron, correct :D :D ? I would bet money that they are some people that cheat the system, but that's just the way life goes.
    Personally, I'm proud to show off my pins and certificates to friends for a couple of reasons. First, if they're your friends, then they'll know that you're an honest guy who is telling the truth. Second who cares, I know I wasn't lying and that's good enough for me. Third, the recoginition is for a fish that is usually not caught that often by a majority of people, which makes it an award that is not useless to me.
    Hope this helps Rod&Reel. It's just my 2 cents and personal feelings about the subject. I will take as many recoginitions as I can. It makes me feel like I know what I'm doing in this sport (sometimes :D ).