close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fish of a Lifetime

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Master Angler, Aug 30, 2005.

1. So I was thinking about fishing goals...whats some of your opinions on your "lifetime" fish? Doesn't have to be a huge fish..maybe just a species you'd like to catch but it should be something once achieved that you are satisfied with. Also, which have you achieved? Me first:

Ohio fish

Inland stream Brown trout - 24" (non-brood stock) , finally landed last year
    Largemouth Bass - 24" (don't fish for them much though)
    Matched pair of 16" white and black crappie
    12" redear (close)
    11" bluegill (close)
    10" warmouth and pumpkinseed (close)
    Northern Pike - 36" a few yrs ago
    Saugeye - 27" - a few yrs ago
    Walleye - 30" - gotta start fishing Erie!
    carp - 36"

wish fish: chain pickeral, bowfin

Other area fish: sturgeon (any species), anything in Alaska, any billfish, a big native brook trout, Red River Manitoba Channel Cats

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

those are very realistic goals I got a 23in LGmouth, 11in bluegill, 11in redear, and a 36in carp...

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

80-lb Flathead catfish without a doubt.

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I want one of those 9lb smallies!!!

I was lucky enough to catch a fish of a lifetime last year in TN (4.2lb spot). It wasn't a set "goal", but as soon as I boated him and realized what it was and how big it was, I knew there was a slim to none chance I'd ever catch one even close to that big.

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

yeah, especially with your fishing skills!!!! ;D

6. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Shouldn't you be in homeroom right now? :D

7. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

I'd like a 10+ lb walleye caught in the open lake drifting in about 30 FOW. I know you can catch them trolling that big but trolling isn't quite the same to me. How big is the state record goby?

8. I'd be happy with a 7lb Smallmouth from Erie and 7lb Largemouth from Ohio Lakes. I'm not asking for much :)

9. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

homeroom! I'm gettin er done in college old man!

10. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I've already gotten my Saugeye and Largemouth. I really want to break a 30lb+ striper and a billfish other than a sail. Both of those will have to come from out of state!

11. All of these are reachable goals (I think anyway)
    1. 9LB small mouth
    2. 13lb large mouth
    3. 50”+ muskie
    4. 60lb flat head
    5. stream small mouth that is over 25” and large mouth over 27”

12. Bass_Hawg

Bass_Hawg Certified Hawg Master

All right I know someone will make fun of me but here it is.

My immediate goal is to fish and place in the top 3 in a tournament this season. Most likely won’t happen because I got money issues and most tournament circuits end in late September early October. I got close but no cigar with a 4th place finish in my first and only tournament this year.

Next goal is to catch, on a consistent basis, winter Largemouth Bass. (When there is no ice on the lakes that is)

My goal I set a few years ago is to catch a new State record Largemouth bass. (go ahead and laugh). It will be done.

My last goal is to learn how to read my electronics better and to trust them more. I am on my way on this one and feel it will be an ongoing skill to learn and trust.

:D

13. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

Northern Pike 50" that is my one and only goal!!!

In 90' I took a Spot over 6lbs in GA Carters Lake :B
    Wouldnt mind a 20lb+ Peacock...if I ever get down south :D

14. My "dream" fish is the one in my signature. A 20" crappie. :B I would be willing to travel world wide to catch it but it would be even better if I could get one here in Ohio. I'm pretty sure it's possible but not probable. I think I've got a couple (or 60) good years left that I will be fishing so I've got plenty of time. I'm not too sure of any other dream fish I have. Just one big enough to have mounted so I can hang it on my wall and when I'm feeling down or in the middle of winter I can look at it and remember the day I caught it.

15. 10lb lgmouth...close (i do have an ohio 2footer)
    6+smallie.. not close
    peacock...nope notta one
    big crappie... nope, mine is 14
    carp... landed50+ in florida (the pictures belong in a chiropractors office)
    muskie... never got one (one day)
    catfish... uck! i'd be SO squirly if i got a bigun(i'm squirly handlin lil ones)
    shark... caught em
    marlin... maybe one day
    mahi... gotta bigun twas awesome
    tuna... maybe one day
    tarpon...hope to sometime
    sturgeon... got a nine footer outta Alum
    rainbow trout... gotta legit WILDRAINBOW in sierras
    browntrout... one day maybe
    sorry to any species who feel left out like fish ohio rockbass

16. If i had to pick I would like to get a 50lb + flat head cat or one of those big southern blue cats. Also a big Gar would be cool.

17. Oh yea - a big alligator gar would be awesome...right up there with sturgeon IMO

18. I have been lucky enough to catch a variety of fish that satisfy me regarding lifetime goals from a size or weight standpoint. If the following fish sizes can be bettered then I will consider myself as extreemly fortunate. :)
    Carp 31#
    Largemouth 27"
    Northern Pike 39" but would really like to exceed 44"
    Musky 44" but would like to hit 48"
    Crappie 18.5"
    Perch 15.5"
    Smallmouth 7.4#
    Walleye 12.75#
    Bluegill 10.5" but would like to hit 12"
    Striper 32.5"
    Sheephead 27"
    King Salmon 35 plus pounds
    Steelhead 33" but would like to hit 35"
    Brown Trout (native) 18"
    White Bass 17.5"

Would like to catch a flathead 50#, a channel 15#, Saugeye 5#

I dream of catching a tarpon and a snook of any size.

19. EDD

EDD BASS BUM

my dream fish is the bass that gives me my limit and a tournment win (and big bass wouldn't hurt)

20. Iron_Chef_CD

Iron_Chef_CD Allez Cuisine

coelacanth

www.mnh.si.edu/ highlight/coelacanth/

To be totally serious, I'd like to head to texas or california and catch a 15+lb LM.