Fish of 10,000 Jigs

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by reelmanly, Feb 1, 2009.

1. reelmanly

reelmanly Set The HOOK!!!!!!!!

Hit Erie yesterday and went out with Cpt. Mike for the ride, Place was packed, Bite was SLOW however around 8:30 Nitro holed his 1st fish, est. 5# at around 9:15 holed my 1st. a little over 8 #s measured 28" than nothin on the screen for most of the day, made a move round 4, Nitro lost one, the shanty next to ours hit an 11#er, 15 guys out probably 20 [ form listening to others in the group]totally out of the holes for the day. Wind became brutal, Current was fast. With a lot of BS time we figured we each did the jiggin motion about 10,000 times thru the day figuring a jig each 3-5 seconds throughout the 10 hour day gave us that average, was it Fun, always is, wether catchin or not. Nitro and Carver are at it again today on their own, I wasn't in for the walk out anticipating melting snow and all that stuff,[Wuss] talked to Nitro at 9am said they had 3 on the ice nothin big. Walk was tough going and anticipating a nasty walk back. Anticipating ?s, Mine came on a Silver Green prism pimp, Nitro's on a Silver Blue Rattle, 8 lb test, tried other colors sizes shapes but the bite wasn't on for us. Capt mike was a great guy and always on the run checkin, and movin at requests from his clients, givin up baits and advice as if he knew ya for years, squeezed in 2 other pals at last minute request, pricing reasonable at 60 per with ur own shanty 100 per with his. Would love to have seen the lake from the air with all the Shants out there. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Is that OPEN water behind you? :eek:

Nice fish thou... Maybe you'll get fish every 5000 jigs.

3. reelmanly

Landscape, didn't see any open water lots of blowing snow off the lake out in the northern distances, many years ago did fish the open lake while standing on the edge of the ice with a Guide named Mike Massey, talk about a rush!!!!!!!!!!

4. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Thats Put in Bay.;)

5. reelman-If memory serves me correctly, that guide you mentioned died several years back while looking for fish for his clients when his snowmobile went thru the ice somewhere west of and near the slot between the SB and Middle. Course that's a fairly common name up there and it could have been another Massey?! Quite a tragedy nonetheless.

6. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

Nice fish guys and nice elvis hair you got going chuck!:p

7. reelmanly

Marshall...You Funneeeeeee...however now that ya mention it think I'll have a peanut butter and banana sandwich;)

CJ Yep That was Mike, I think he came from inland in the Dark on his mobile skirted around the island to check Shanties and hit a patch that was washed by current, demise came cause he had no hand picks to pull himself out, believe he had been thru several other times but this was the one that took him, said there was blood all over the fall thru where he tried to claw his way up and out. He was a really Good guy and to this day probably watches over folks on the ice up there. Been many years ago :(

8. hearttxp

hearttxp Lake Erie Charter Captain

Guys It is Massie Not Massey ! I used to fish with his Brother Jim. His Uncle was a long time ice guide on SBI. And yes Mike took a short cut with his Snowmobile and it cost him his life ? at least that is how the story was told to me ?

9. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Chuck and Bill strike again! Nice fish guys. Chuck, what the heck happened to your hair? ;)

10. reelmanly

Thanks mike, Just can't seem to bring myself to the Jimmy F look, raised in the 60's guess its stickin around. have fun guys,[with the hair thing] as Zep said "You're time is gonna come". :) BTW CONGRATS!!!!