Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a silly question. Recently got my first boat, besides a row boat. It's a 16.5 Alumacraft with a 9.9 Johnson electric start. It's a 2003, but litterally was only used 5 times, so it's basically new. When I'm running at full speed, my fish locator stops and gives a high voltage alarm. The voltage readout will go from 12/13 to 16+. It's hooked up to the same battery as the motor. If I unhook the motor and use the pull start, no problems. Is there anyway to stop this surge? Any ideas?

·
Banned
16,937 Posts
Sounds like the alternator is putting out too much voltage. I'd run the motor with the pull start.

·
bassing around
1,919 Posts
man thats alot of volts for a 9.9 mine is a 115 mer.that only puts out 14 volts,and yes there is a fix for it try a volt filter that hooks to your battery then hook you finder to it,or it called a regulater that only alows 12 volts to what is hook to it,let me ask you this how old is the battery cause if its low the motor will bush alot of volts out to charge it,or you altnator is to big for that motor. im still thinking on this one,markfish

·
Akron
2,440 Posts
The hp of the motor makes no difference on the output of the alternator, it is only the motive force that turns the alternator shaft. You have a voltage regulator in with you 9.9 that is bad. It may be seperate or it may be part of the alternator. At 16 volts you will quickly ruin your battery if left attached. If unattached you may ruin the alternator. Either way you should look into getting yours fixed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'm just ignorant on the subject. This is my first boat with an outboard. The motor is a 1996 Johnson tiller, but it's like new. I took it out for the first time 2 weeks ago and had this problem right from the beginning. Took it out yesterday and it was O.K. for the first 2 hours, then started doing the same thing when I was moving between spots. I just unhooked the outboard from the battery and ran it just with the pull start. Everything was fine. I do like the electric start and want to fix this problem. I live in the Cleveland area, any recamendations on a place that's good and resonable to take it to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts