Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone. I'm taking up fishing since I have a lot of extra time now and nothing to do. I pulled a few of these out of a Metro park pond and wondering what they are? Can anyone help identify it? I'm all catch and release but I've seen a couple much larger sizes of these fish jumping out of the pond. Any help would be appreciated. Everyone stay safe and sane. Thanks.

Image of the fish is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Good afternoon everyone. I'm taking up fishing since I have a lot of extra time now and nothing to do. I pulled a few of these out of a Metro park pond and wondering what they are? Can anyone help identify it? I'm all catch and release but I've seen a couple much larger sizes of these fish jumping out of the pond. Any help would be appreciated. Everyone stay safe and sane. Thanks.

It looks like a largemouth bass. They may reach 10lbs. and up!

·
Registered
70 Posts

Welcome, good luck out there!

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
its hard to tell for sure with the mouth open. a large mouths mouth closed extends past the eye. the picture looks like the fish has a smaller mouth that a lm. close its mouth and see if it doesn't reach the eye its a spotted bass. those guys could be right but to know for sure i'd need to see a picture with the mouth closed. from the picture i'm leaning towards a spot.

·
Registered
244 Posts
its hard to tell for sure with the mouth open. a large mouths mouth closed extends past the eye. the picture looks like the fish has a smaller mouth that a lm. close its mouth and see if it doesn't reach the eye its a spotted bass. those guys could be right but to know for sure i'd need to see a picture with the mouth closed. from the picture i'm leaning towards a spot.
I think Sherman is on the right track here the mouth looks like it could likely be a spot not a large mouth.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Spotted bass are only in the Ohio River drainage in Ohio. As Magis said, since it was caught in a metro park pond, it’s almost definitely a largemouth.

Reactions: percidaeben

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
Considering it came from a park pond, it's a pretty safe bet that it's a largemouth.
Spotted bass are only in the Ohio River drainage in Ohio. As Magis said, since it was caught in a metro park pond, it’s almost definitely a largemouth.
yes it could be a large mouth from a park pond. but just because it came from a park pond thats been stocked doesn't automatically make it one. i go by the size of the mouth. and if you'll take a good look at the picture the mouth looks small for a large mouth. but without it having a closed mouth i'm not saying it is a spot but i think it could be. this is just an opinion and not meant to cause controversy.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,855 Posts
What I'm wondering is how long it is. It's pretty skinny, so I'm guessing it's a young fish. Far from done growing, mouth included.

Reactions: sherman51

·
Akron
2,441 Posts
I used to catch a few spotted bass in the Cuyahoga River below the old Monroe Falls dam. A key indicator of a spot is the tooth patch on its tongue. Verified by the ODNR ranger.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts