Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
That's a Rock Bass. They are caught mostly in rivers, great fighters for their size.
Got me by a minute nick.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was pulled from Oberlins up ground reservoir. You can say that again I was quite disappointed when I pulled out of the water. I was like all that for such a small fish

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Interesting......I'm not familiar with where you caught it but they're mainly river/creek fish. Cool you're getting some out of a lake.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Erie Bytes Fishing Team
297 Posts
I agree with all; that's a rock bass. Lake Erie has some massive ones in Cleveland Harbor. It's easy to catch a mess against the rocks and in the docks.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Interesting......I'm not familiar with where you caught it but they're mainly river/creek fish. Cool you're getting some out of a lake.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Lake Chautauqua is loaded with brutish Rock Bass. Others may have mentioned, you can get them all day long around the Cleveland harbor walls.

·
MasterFisherman,LOLOLOL
166 Posts
Where would be a safe place to fish a wall in Cleveland for someone with knees that wont take him more than 20 - 3- feet from the vehicle. I can't do breakwalls and I have my 8 year old with me. I would love to get him on some rocky action.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I catch rock bass in East Harbor in Lake Erie all the time in the spring. You can catch 10-12" rock bass all day there in April or May

·
Registered
214 Posts
sure they're edible, but then again my friends and i usually ate what we caught. we didn't think twice about eating the rock bass we caught in the hocking river. hey, they beat cafeteria food.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Been many years since I've caught a rock bass...
Where I grew up, my dad built a lake (2 acres) and somehow we ended up with rock bass in it... Yes, they are edible.. I I remember right, they are not as mild as a bluegill, but good eating..
I think the biggest I caught out of that lake was right around 11"....

·
Registered
7 Posts
get a 4 foot ultra light rod, small reel, 2lb test, small jig head with crappie magnets on them. my record is 25 in a day. great fighting fish for how small they are.

·
Registered
55 Posts
wanna catch these? Go to the Causeway at Mosquito and drop your line straight down as close to the rocks as you can and you pull em out like bluegill in a pond some days.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I've caught them in just about every lake I've fished in small numbers. There's a lot of them in the Cuyahoga in Kent and Cuy. Falls. Caught 4 in a short time fishing by the dams that are being removed right now. They taste like bluegill to me. I'll keep them if they are big enough. Like their name says, they like rocky areas where they hide, then shoot out very fast to hit any bait that comes by! Very aggressive fish!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts